[SOLVED] Is my build bottlenecking?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 2, 2019
I am planning to build a PC just before Christmas as a Christmas present for myself, this is my first ever PC build so I am relatively new to this and would like some advice.

1. are my GPU and CPU too powerful for the rest of my system, am I bottlenecking?
  2. is there any further advice you would give me with the build

Thank you for your help and as a side note this is my absolute top budget and I live in New Zealand where parts can be expensive and scarce to come across.

Thank you :)

The build: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/GCNQzy

Solution
Most B450 boards need a bios update yes and most MSI boards have flashback, a feature to update bios without a cpu installed. Your board doesn't have flashback that i can see however MSI released their MAX series B450 boards supporting Zen2 out of the box.

PCpartpicker is just covering general basis, warning that some B450 need an update.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Two intake fans minimum to create air pressure and 1 rear & top exhaust.

Have a look at these

Check specifications on fan support and watch unboxing/ review videos to see what is included with the case. Nowadays, popularity with water coolers has increased and radiators are usually positioned at the front as intakes replacing normal traditional fans and because of this, case may not include fans but have support for them. Check if the case you want includes intake fans and if not, can buy them.

Dec 2, 2019
Two intake fans minimum to create air pressure and 1 rear & top exhaust.

Have a look at these

Check specifications on fan support and watch unboxing/ review videos to see what is included with the case. Nowadays, popularity with water coolers has increased and radiators are usually positioned at the front as intakes replacing normal traditional fans and because of this, case may not include fans but have support for them. Check if the case you want includes intake fans and if not, can buy them.

I looked at the reviews for the Cooler Master MB520 and it seems to have a good flow and intake of air. There are 3 fans at the front of the case and 1 at the back and according to the reviews, this allows a good intake of air to the PC. That would be enough, wouldn't it?

Dec 2, 2019
Looks good. Looking forward to finding out how it all goes.

Good luck 👍

Hi, Just finished my build yesterday and all seems well :)

Apart from one thing... When I plugged it into the monitor it wouldn't show anything and there was a red light on the DRAM light thing.

Today I took out both RAM pieces and placed them in firmly to make sure they were inserted correctly originally - yet to no avail. Though when I used one RAM piece the PC connected to the monitor and booted up the BIOS as it should have originally. I tried this with the other RAM piece and it wouldn't connect to the monitor again showing the red light once more.

Does this mean that one of my RAM sticks is faulty and I should send them back to be replaced?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which dimm slots are you using?

2nd and 4th slot from cpu should be used. Use 2nd slot for testing each ram separately.

Like this
1K39hPk.png

Dec 2, 2019
I did you the DIMMA 2 slots both times when installing the RAM however I used the 4th slot when testing each ram separately and only one worked. Should I test again with the 2nd slot to make sure?

Dec 2, 2019
OK, will do. I can still install windows and games and such with only one RAM piece right?

I'd like to set up my PC even if I need to send them both back. I can just put them both in and it should just boot up windows straight away if windows was already installed with one RAM piece, correct?

TRENDING THREADS