Microsoft lover

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
my build
ASUS MOTHER BoaRD MAXIMUS VII HERO

Corsair Carbide 400R CPU Cabinet

Kingston Hyperx Ddr3 [4x2]8 Gb Pc Ram 1866mhz

Cooler master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler

Seagate 1TB Desktop Internal Sata Drive (ST1000DM003)

Asus NVIDIA Strix GTX 980 Graphics Card

CORSAIR CX 600 Watts PSU

Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive

Dell E-series E2015hv 20 Inches Led Monitor

Intel Core I7-4790k Processor

Solution
Everything looks pretty good for a rendering machine although depending what program you use (or how many you have open) you may want to upgrade to 16gb of ram - if not now at least in the near future. As for the psu, I think there are better quality power supplies out there. Here's a list of better psu's, I'd try to find one within my budget from tier1, tier 2a or tier 2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

I've personally had really good luck with seasonic (xfx and most antec's hcg series up to around 620-650w I believe are seasonic built). There are quite a few choices in those quality tiers and there should be something budget friendly. Typically the better psu's offer closer to their...
Everything looks pretty good for a rendering machine although depending what program you use (or how many you have open) you may want to upgrade to 16gb of ram - if not now at least in the near future. As for the psu, I think there are better quality power supplies out there. Here's a list of better psu's, I'd try to find one within my budget from tier1, tier 2a or tier 2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

I've personally had really good luck with seasonic (xfx and most antec's hcg series up to around 620-650w I believe are seasonic built). There are quite a few choices in those quality tiers and there should be something budget friendly. Typically the better psu's offer closer to their rated power (other lower end units tend to fudge the numbers a bit or have issues at closer to max load), they have cleaner more stable power (less noise/ripple in the power delivery) and last longer.

When you said 4x2 on the ram, not sure if you meant 4 sticks at 2gb each or 4gb x 2 sticks. Hopefully you meant 2 4gb sticks since you'll likely want to upgrade. Try the 8 to start with and see how it does for you (watch your resource monitor on win task manager). If you're constantly at 7-7.5gb out of 8, or if using adobe software (or others where you preset how much system memory to use) that could be falsely limiting performance. For instance in adobe, I can set photoshop or illustrator to dedicate a percentage of ram to it. If I set it at 40%, it would only use around 4-5gb (including os ram requirements) and appear as though 8gb is enough. However if I leave the setting the same (40% usage) with 16gb ram it will use much more especially while loading presets and other things and will perform much better.

Solution

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
- For rendering ECC Memory is a must, you can't go without it.
- You should consider 16gb of ECC memory instead of 8 aswell.
- Also consider getting a render card, something like a 150 dollar AMD FirePro.
- Definitely get a different power supply. Don't cheap out on that. Most Seasonic, Antec, Super flower 600w+ will do.