Mar 1, 2019
is my build good? what is compatible? this is my gaming desktop specs...

Windows 10
Intel Core i5-8400
Nvidia GTX 1060-3GB
IHMA81GU6AFR8N-UH 1x8GB
intel Optane+931GBHDD 1TB
MBD Dell isnspiron 5680

Im looking to increase my ram, add more memory and also a big concern of mine is the following statement on user benchmark... Relative performance n/a - RAM cached drive detected - Ensure that this drive is connected to a SATA 3.0 port with a SATA 3.0 cable. for my intel optane.

Last edited:
Solution
That depends on what do You need it for.... If You play fortnite at 1080p and 60hz, it's ok.

If i was to upgrade this setup, first two things i would do is:
  • replace 1060 3GB with 1060 6GB or 1070 (cheap upgrade)
  • Another 8GB of RAM

Don't worry about the drives. If they work, You are fine.
I won't help You with that, but i guess You can fix that issue somewhere in your mobo bios settings.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
That depends on what do You need it for.... If You play fortnite at 1080p and 60hz, it's ok.

• Another 8GB of RAM

I won't help You with that, but i guess You can fix that issue somewhere in your mobo bios settings.

Reactions: Young PC man
Solution
Mar 1, 2019
thank you for your advice but I must admit im fairly new to pc builds. what would I do exactly in mobo bios?
also I play eso and it plays fantastically, I usually have fps from 150-180 also in 1080p so It definitely performs. I just want to have a beast. I'm an enthusiast haha

Mar 1, 2019

• Another 8GB of RAM

will any ram do? say like crosairs…? or is it more complicated considering I have optane

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
You don't have to do anything, it's fine. It's just some benchmark, nothing to worry about, it won't affect your gaming experience.

But if You really want to, You have to google what to do, when You get that benchmark message - all drives are surely on sata3. Might be some drives profiles in BIOS. Really, don't worry about it. The drives will perform fine.

Mar 1, 2019
You don't have to do anything, it's fine. It's just some benchmark, nothing to worry about, it won't affect your gaming experience.

But if You really want to, You have to google what to do, when You get that benchmark message - all drives are surely on sata3. Might be some drives profiles in BIOS. Really, don't worry about it. The drives will perform fine.
awesome, so what about the ram? will any ram brand be fine?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Looks good, BUT if You play 60hz, 1080p resolution monitor, then it will be an overkill.

From what You posted, You already have 1x8GB. Just buy another 1x8 and use it in dual channel.
Or sell that 1 brick and replace it with those corsairs.

I wouldn't mix 3 different bricks together. It's a good habbit to have the same RAM's on a mobo. Of course it will work, but 16GB as for today is enough, You don't need more.

Mar 1, 2019
Looks good, BUT if You play 60hz, 1080p resolution monitor, then it will be an overkill.

From what You posted, You already have 1x8GB. Just buy another 1x8 and use it in dual channel.
Or sell that 1 brick and replace it with those corsairs.

I wouldn't mix 3 different bricks together. It's a good habbit to have the same RAM's on a mobo. Of course it will work, but 16GB as for today is enough, You don't need more.
I agree but the onling thing is that I believe the ram is coming from my optane… which would mean I would either have to take it out or just buy two of the optane. right?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
I agree but the onling thing is that I believe the ram is coming from my optane… which would mean I would either have to take it out or just buy two of the optane. right?
Intel optane is not the same as ram memory. It's an external memory that kinda serves as a SSD drive that speeds up Your HDD drive.
You must have some Ram at Your Mobo. Check what ram do You have and buy exactly the same bricks.

If it is 1 brick x8GB - buy another one. If those are 2x4GB, buy another two (if You have 4 ram slots).

Mar 1, 2019
Intel optane is not the same as ram memory. It's an external memory that kinda serves as a SSD drive that speeds up Your HDD drive.
You must have some Ram at Your Mobo. Check what ram do You have and buy exactly the same bricks.

If it is 1 brick x8GB - buy another one. If those are 2x4GB, buy another two (if You have 4 ram slots).
do you think buying 3x more 8GB would be a bit of overkill? lmao there wouldn't be anything negative about it though I don't think. just to fill in the space

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
do you think buying 3x more 8GB would be a bit of overkill?
Yes. it's an total overkill. You're not going to use those additional 16 gigs.
Usually win10 with games running uses about 8-12 gigs. (hard to say, that depends)
You just won't ever use those additional 16 gigs, so what's the point spending money? You can buy them anytime if You need them?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Guess that benchmark question is answered here?

Ram and Optane are different things. See now that was already answered.:sleep: