[SOLVED] Is my build good?

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
My friend asked me to help him build a PC. This is what I came up with.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HGzkQZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HGzkQZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($33.99 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *XFX - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $483.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-15 14:09 EDT-0400

A couple things...
Is this good for a $500 budget range?
IF I got an athlon 240GE/220GE/200GE, would it bottleneck the graphics?
I've heard many things about power supplys, but mos tsay that the one I chose is good. Are any of EVGA's simmular units any good?
Any opinions on the case, motherboard, or RAM?

IF you got If you got rid of the graphics card and changed a couple of things to make it $300, would it still be decent? (Start with that , then could add graphics later as budget allowed). Any ideas one what to change to achieve that?

Thanks!

Solution
For a gaming-focused system, I would want the dedicated card if at all possible. The RX 570 should offer somewhere around four times the graphics performance of the 2200G's integrated Vega 8 graphics, making it a lot better for 1080p gaming. It could mean the difference between running recent games with high settings at 1080p, or with low settings at 720p. With integrated graphics, games will also be cutting into your 8GB of system RAM to use as VRAM, so less RAM will be available to the game, which could cause additional performance issues in some demanding titles. With the RX 570 offering as much performance as it does for such reasonable prices right now, it definitely seems worth adding one of those to the system. Even dropping...

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
For a budget build it's decent , build it.
F I got an athlon 240GE/220GE/200GE, would it bottleneck the graphics?
I've heard many things about power supplys, but mos tsay that the one I chose is good. Are any of EVGA's simmular units any good?
Any opinions on the case, motherboard, or RAM?

IF you got If you got rid of the graphics card and changed a couple of things to make it $300, would it still be decent? (Start with that , then could add graphics later as budget allowed). Any ideas one what to change to achieve that?

For a gaming-focused system, I would want the dedicated card if at all possible. The RX 570 should offer somewhere around four times the graphics performance of the 2200G's integrated Vega 8 graphics, making it a lot better for 1080p gaming. It could mean the difference between running recent games with high settings at 1080p, or with low settings at 720p. With integrated graphics, games will also be cutting into your 8GB of system RAM to use as VRAM, so less RAM will be available to the game, which could cause additional performance issues in some demanding titles. With the RX 570 offering as much performance as it does for such reasonable prices right now, it definitely seems worth adding one of those to the system. Even dropping to a 4GB RX 570 wouldn't impact the performance of current games much, if you were looking to shave off an extra $20 or so.

As for the Athlon 200GE, it only offers 2 cores with 4 threads, and considering the 2200G is a true quad-core with higher stock clocks and a better cooler for just $30-$35 more, it's arguably worth spending that bit extra for it. Also note that the 200GE has weaker integrated graphics, with less than half the graphics performance of the 2200G, meaning a dedicated card would definitely be wanted for most recent games with one of those. The 220GE and 240GE are priced even closer to the 2200G with only slightly higher stock clocks than the 200GE, so they make even less sense.

It might also be worth moving up to a 2x8GB kit of DDR4-3000 RAM, as their prices start at only $20-$30 more than 2x4GB right now. Most current games can still get along reasonably well on 8GB, but it won't likely be long before one would want more than that for gaming.

Solution

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
For a gaming-focused system, I would want the dedicated card if at all possible. The RX 570 should offer somewhere around four times the graphics performance of the 2200G's integrated Vega 8 graphics, making it a lot better for 1080p gaming. It could mean the difference between running recent games with high settings at 1080p, or with low settings at 720p. With integrated graphics, games will also be cutting into your 8GB of system RAM to use as VRAM, so less RAM will be available to the game, which could cause additional performance issues in some demanding titles. With the RX 570 offering as much performance as it does for such reasonable prices right now, it definitely seems worth adding one of those to the system. Even dropping to a 4GB RX 570 wouldn't impact the performance of current games much, if you were looking to shave off an extra $20 or so.

As for the Athlon 200GE, it only offers 2 cores with 4 threads, and considering the 2200G is a true quad-core with higher stock clocks and a better cooler for just $30-$35 more, it's arguably worth spending that bit extra for it. Also note that the 200GE has weaker integrated graphics, with less than half the graphics performance of the 2200G, meaning a dedicated card would definitely be wanted for most recent games with one of those. The 220GE and 240GE are priced even closer to the 2200G with only slightly higher stock clocks than the 200GE, so they make even less sense.

It might also be worth moving up to a 2x8GB kit of DDR4-3000 RAM, as their prices start at only $20-$30 more than 2x4GB right now. Most current games can still get along reasonably well on 8GB, but it won't likely be long before one would want more than that for gaming.
Thanks!
Could you remmmecomend a RAM kit?

Look at this
Team VulcanDDR4-3000288-pin DIMM162x8 GB16 GB$5.31

(23)
$84.99

You may want to spend the extra getting another 8GB of ram - it would help the system, since its only $35 more for twice as much!

Also I would like to add, if you got the 2400G - you would get 4 more threads, which does make a difference in todays modern gaming. Granted as with anything, you are always on a budget - but since the Ryzen 3000's are out in 3-4 months - maybe it would be OK to buy the cheapest CPU then upgrade as soon as that comes out. Obviously, I don't know how much money your friend can save, or whatever his income is - just a thought.

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
Look at this
Team VulcanDDR4-3000288-pin DIMM162x8 GB16 GB$5.31

(23)
$84.99

You may want to spend the extra getting another 8GB of ram - it would help the system, since its only $35 more for twice as much!

Also I would like to add, if you got the 2400G - you would get 4 more threads, which does make a difference in todays modern gaming. Granted as with anything, you are always on a budget - but since the Ryzen 3000's are out in 3-4 months - maybe it would be OK to buy the cheapest CPU then upgrade as soon as that comes out. Obviously, I don't know how much money your friend can save, or whatever his income is - just a thought.
Do you think that I should tell him just to wait for Ryzen 3000/Navi

IF the rumours are true about the 3000 - and he can wait, then sure - depends on how desperate he wants things moving.
But the system won't be out of date as soon as you buy it, just we always regret things when we know new things are coming out - and that's always what you get when you buy computer hardware unfortunately.

If you tell him, then he can make up his own mind, and if you don't tell him he may say - why didn't you tell me

IF the rumours are true about the 3000 - and he can wait, then sure - depends on how desperate he wants things moving.
But the system won't be out of date as soon as you buy it, just we always regret things when we know new things are coming out - and that's always what you get when you buy computer hardware unfortunately.

If you tell him, then he can make up his own mind, and if you don't tell him he may say - why didn't you tell me

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019

Will do, Thanks!