Question Is my card dead?

Jan 29, 2020
One day about a couple weeks ago, I was playing a game and then all of a sudden a yellow checker pattern appeared on my screen for about 3 seconds and then my computer crashed. I go to restart my computer and when it booted back up it told me there was something wrong with one of my devices. That device was my video card.

Screencaps of the message: View: https://imgur.com/a/9BcX8D7

So from there I do some troubleshooting for the "Code 43" error to no avail. Maybe I didn't try every possible solution out there? I'm not sure. I know someone at work who had an extra video card for me to drop into my pc to see if maybe it wasn't the video card that's the problem so I got the card from him and that's what I did next.

Here are my specs:

Processor
Haswell 6-Core i7-5820k 3.3 GHz
Video Card ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Motherboard ASUS X99 Deluxe
Memory Corsair 16 GB 2133 MHz
Power Supply 750 W Gold EVGA
Monitor ASUS VG248QE

I believe my work friend gave me an ATI Radeon HD 6800 to try and test in my rig. After properly connecting the Radeon card for testing, the computer just wouldn't boot. The lights on the mobo were on and I only had a monitor plugged into the pc at the time yet it still wouldn't even power on. Now since I'm pissed I just try to throw my graphics card back in to see what happens. After re-seating my card the computer still would not power on even though the mobo lights AND the video card lights were on. I gave up for the time being.

Cue to tonight and I hit the clear CMOS button on my mobo and that gets my pc back up and running. This makes me think maybe the old card will run if I just clear the CMOS before I try to boot. So I try that but the old Radeon card will still not power on with the pc. So here I am not sure if my video card is going, or if its my mobo? Maybe some RAM issue? I have no idea and that's why I'm here.

Ah, I also need to mention I did the paperclip test on my power supply and that passed, as well as plugging it into a power supply tester it also passed. If anyone has suggestions on whjat to do here that would be great because I am so lost.

Edit: I also should mention that when I open GeForce Experience and try to update the card, it goes through the whole download and installation process and then tells me I need to restart. However, when I restart the software doesn't actually install the new drivers to the card. It just has the option to do the same thing all over again, download and install the new driver. I feel like this leans even more toward the card, yea?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Also, have you tried and worked with the GTX780Ti on a donor system to rule out a bad card? You might want to breadboard the system and source a reliably built PSU to rule out a faulty/failing PSU.

Jan 29, 2020
How old is the PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Also, have you tried and worked with the GTX780Ti on a donor system to rule out a bad card? You might want to breadboard the system and source a reliably built PSU to rule out a faulty/failing PSU.

The PSU and all parts in this computer were purchased in September 2014, almost 6 years ago now. I've never really had any hardware problems since then.

When I go home today I will make sure the BIOS is up to date.

I actually don't have a donor system or any other accessible systems to try and drop the 780Ti into.

Also, I'm just learning what a breadboard is now. How would I go about using that to rule out the PSU?

Jan 29, 2020

I also threw in more information in an edit at the bottom of the post. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020

My BIOS is also up to date. Apologies for the extra replies, just getting the necessary information out there to try and solve this.

TRENDING THREADS