[SOLVED] Is my computer compatible for an RTX graphicscard?

Dec 2, 2019
With my computers stuff here would my system be compatible with a RTX graphicCard or would I need to upgrade a few parts first?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16.0 GB RAM
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
x2 - 8GB DDR4 HYPER FURY X
Corsair PSU 850w CX bronze modular
inside i have a Kingston 480gb SSD
and my old Hitachi 1TB SSD
& a GTX 980 4gb palit graphicscard

Case - zalman z11 plus
Screen - Samsung 3840x2160 4K

of course I know I'll probably need to get a new case to fit even the bigger graphicscards.

Solution
Your system is compatible with any modern card out today but why do you ask RTX specifically? Do you want Ray Tracing? Because in the select few recent games with Ray Tracing, performance is going to tank in 4k with it on even with a 2080Ti.

Ray Tracing is just a feature, without it, a 2080Ti and other cards in this gen are just another GTX. Don't let the naming scheme confuse.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your system is compatible with any modern card out today but why do you ask RTX specifically? Do you want Ray Tracing? Because in the select few recent games with Ray Tracing, performance is going to tank in 4k with it on even with a 2080Ti.

Ray Tracing is just a feature, without it, a 2080Ti and other cards in this gen are just another GTX. Don't let the naming scheme confuse.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 2, 2019

yes I wish ray tracing feature Iam not bothered that some games arn't 4k compatible with rtx cards but it will at least play games in the highest graphics they can manage