Is My Computer Dying, Replaced PSU, Problem Still Happening

kmfa1988

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Below is my computer specs with specified dates of upgrades, any part with no date is original build from December 2012. The problem I am having is at the end of PC specifications.

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GTX

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM (Upgraded to 10 in 2017)

APEVIA X-TELSTAR-RD Red/ Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer CaseNo Power Supply

EVGA GTX 980 Ti (Upgraded from GTX 670 in 2016)

Acer Predator XB271HU (Upgraded same time as I got new GPU in 2016)

New Rapid fire K70 Corsair Keyboard, Wireless Corsair Void Pro Headset, RGB Corsair Mouse pad, RGB Corsair Wireless Headset Stand (Gifts for Christmas 2017)

840 EVO 250GB SSD (Added 2016)

I run 3 montiors total with the Predator as my main and a AOC 27" on my right, and a 24" Acer on
my left.

Problem: Recently while playing game, and sometimes but less frequently while just doing school work with notepad ++ and watching a video my computer shuts down, goes black, reboots itself and I get a ASUS message stating that my motherboard detected over voltage to the power supply and shut down for safety reasons. From doing my research my MOBO has this feature that goes wonky sometimes and have read that I can shut it off in the BIOS.

I did turn the feature off and it ended up happening again but no ASUS message, the PC just rebooted and started as normal.

The past week or so I have noticed a smell of hot/melting plastic. GPU temps are running good, 40 degrees C with no load, and at max 70 while playing games and under heavy load. (I play games like Path of Exile at 1440p). CPU temps are good too, (30 degrees c. and while under load 48-55).
I also put new thermal paste on the CPU (I do this just about every year).

To me it sounds like my PSU is going bad, It does feel a little hot but I really dont know as I have never really thought of it as a concern till now. If I were to do some upgrades, what would I do first and could I get some feedback and recommendations please. Budget is pretty low right now :( but I need my PC as I have school to complete.

I think you are heading in the right direction. I would suspect the PSU as well.

I would be checking the voltages on said PSU.

I would either do this with a volt meter or software like HWMonitor or HWInfo.

Or I would just swap another one in.

similar problem would be mobo VRM. open the box and search for burned smell. if its PSU then inside case smell would be very faint or none at all, while psu out fan will be very strong.

kmfa1988

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

I have pullout the PSU and cleaned it all out and I didnt smell anything from it. I hope its not my MOBO. I would have to upgrade ram then too cause I would not buy a DDR3 MOBO in this age.

sounds like the psu.

I would replace it ASAP. that's one part you don't want dying on you, cause when a PSU starts to go it can kill every other part in your computer, and start a fire that burns down your house. please replace it now.

As for the motherboard it may be damaged by the failing psu. we won't know till you have a new one in there. but the good thing is a failing motherboard is much less likely to burn down your house.

kmfa1988

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

I just ordered the PSU below, will be here tomorrow. Had some amazon rewards and watched some videos on this PSU. Looks good I will keep you all updated. Thanks!

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR

kmfa1988

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Alright, I replaced my PSU and its been a couple of days. I just received the same error as before even with the new PSU. ASUS Maximus V Gene is detecting Power Supply Over Voltages and shut down. I ended up turning this MOBO feature back on after installing the new PSU. I am wondering if its even worth it to turn it back off and end up ruining my new PSU. Any other suggestions?

It may be that "that feature" is acting up....which is why I would have measured the voltages....which is why I said on September 12th....."I would be checking the voltages on said PSU."

Because IF the voltages were correct with the old PSU.....it would mean that the ASUS Voltage Surge feature is probably acting up.

So now....what I would do is probably check the voltages to make sure they are good.....OR.....if you don't want to go that route.....you can assume they are good because it's a new PSU (there is some risk there, but I think it's very little risk)....and just turn the feature off (because it may be acting up).

kmfa1988

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

But I had turned off the Asus feature and replaced the PSU and it is still happening, except I made one other change see this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3792490/make-problems.html

bignastyid

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kmfa1988 : "How would this make all my problems go away?"

That thread was gone.