Is my computer is sleep or hibernation mode?

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I am curious to know which one my computers does and if doing either one of them hurts my SSD. Currently after so many minutes ( I have no idea how many, it just does it) the screen goes black and all I need to do is hit a key or a mouse button and it goes directly to the log in screen for my desktop since I have a password. Other times, like when I go to sleep it will show a blue screen, probably b/c the T.V. ins't turned off and I still just need to hit a key and it goes to the log in screen. Which mode is this? BTW...it's not a BSOD jsut fyi. Should I hibernate, sleep or turn it off every night?

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

Exactly what I was looking for :) Thanks buddy

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

Well I will just let it keep sleeping, I've gotten used to sleep mode and since it doesn't hurt the SSD I don't see a problem with continuing the practice. Thanks :)

Well, just run a file search for hiberfil.sys if that already exists.... you are going to go in for disc writes whether you like it or not or stop it or not.
So most probably that file needs to be cleaned or deleted but that's another story all together.
And if you still want to confirm it further, download SSD Life, it's a free tool, but check the data written to you SSD before you send the rig into sleep and then again after 5 or 10 minutes wake it up and recheck the amount of data written using the same utility. You'll come to know if your sleep mode is writing to Disc and RAM or just RAM.

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
So, how much will these writes degrade my SSD? From the research I have done these things have enough write life on them last many many many many years. Or are you talking about losing space? Wouldn't what ever was saved in sleep get garbaged after you wake it up? If putting to sleep my computer is really killing my SSD THAT much I can only assume that recording games to the SSD using fraps has already put a death sentence on it. Fraps records in 4 gigs sections of videos. Sometimes I might have 15-20 4 gigs section when recording to the SSD, so if not putting it to sleep is so bad for it, I am REALLY concerned about my recording footage directly onto it.

If you write stuff on SSD, it will wear the SSD. But whether you have hibernation to write on the SSD depends on how worry you are about wearing. Some people just want to keep write to minimum, even they know that the SSD will last many years. It is your choice.

But IMO, you use SSD for performance right? By the time it is about 2-3 years old, better drive will come out and you will prbably replace the SSD to keep up with the performance anyway, just like with upgrading GPU. So I wouldn't stress too much on wear level. But storage space is .

Well, if you downloaded SSD Life you'd get a rough idea of what the life of your SSD is like, plus with the standard company tool, you get the whole picture nearly.
SSDUtilities.jpg