Question Is my computer parts safe? Usb ports shocking to touch even after PSU removed!!

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
Help people!

What happened was, I got a new ssd and I wanted to use it as secondary storage.

I opened up the side of the case (its tecware nexus) and tried to loacte the sata power cable. Since its all tied up (someone built it for me) i just brush a few cable around. (near to the PSU) Then I realised that my PSU isn’t off yet, so I switches it off and unplugged the cable.

I continue to mess around with the cables and then got my SSD plugged in, turn everything on and nothing! No sound, no reaction at all.

So I did a test by taking the PSU out and paperclip in the 2 pin (followed the website guide closely).. no reaction. I know the PSU is gone.

But my usb ports and some metal area on casing are all shocking (shocking if I touch with my wrist area, but just “thinkling” with ny fingers) even without the PSU! Minutes later, the metal areas are no longer shocking but the usb ports remain shocking!

Are my Mobo and GPU safe? Can I get warranty exchange for my PSU? (Its hardly a year old) and anything I can do to know if other components are fine? Thanks!

1. CPU + MOBO - RYZEN 5 3500 + GIGABYTE GA B450M-DS3H v2
  2. GPU - PALIT GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
  3. RAM - KINGSTON 2666MHZ CL17 16GB
  4. PSU - C.M (coolmaster) MW 550W 80+ BRONZE SEMI-MOD
  5. SSD - KINGSTON A400 240GB 2.5" SSD
  6. HDD - TOSHIBA P300 3.5" 7200RPM
  7. CASE - TECWARE NEXUS M2 T-GLASS CASE BLACK
Help me pls! Thanks!

Last edited:

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
It's Static electricity and you are the supplier.

Try different footwear and if you're standing on a carpet, put something else to stand on when you're plugging a USB device in to see it stops the problem.

Erm so my mobo is not shorted?! I hope it’s hust the psu! Tried again few hours later, the usb ports are clear of shock!

I might have a spare psu, should I try to see if mobo still working? Do you have a guide on that? Thanks

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
Hmm... my PC runs fine now after a CMOS clearing... I wonder what happened there... I thought ut could be a USB port as it sparks whenever I touch the metal casing. So I remived it and then everything starts to boot up... hmm ..