[SOLVED] Is my computer properly grounded?

halfbeing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
I am trying to resolve an apparent ground loop that is causing me audio problems. I am trying to see whether my PC is correctly grounded. The entire case is laminated and therefore insulated. The only place I can find with exposed metal that isn't on a circuit board is the socket plate on the graphics card. When I connect it to a ground pin on the (French-style) power bar to which the computer is connected via my multimeter, I get a wildly fluctuating reading between around 65 and 250 ohms. Is this low enough to be considered properly grounded? Or is there a better place on the computer that I can safely touch with one of the multimeter's contacts to get a better reading?

Solution
I have found an answer to my own question. I put the multimeter between the ground pin of the C14 socket and one of the USB ports and got a reading of 2 ohms. So it looks like my PC is indeed properly grounded.

halfbeing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
I have found an answer to my own question. I put the multimeter between the ground pin of the C14 socket and one of the USB ports and got a reading of 2 ohms. So it looks like my PC is indeed properly grounded.

Solution