Question Is my computer underperforming?

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019
I've had my first gaming computer since March and I feel like its under performing. In games like War Thunder, everything maxed out, without v-sync, it stays at 60-70 fps (ground forces) and drops to 50+ fps and lower outta nowhere. In online matches its increased in FPS for some reason but still drops to 50+ and even lower fps for no reason. In forums I read in War Thunder, it seems like my computer should have no issues but it does. Im inexperienced I just need tips please. Give me a estimated like FPS I should be getting with War Thunder and some other games please and thank you.
Components
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz
  • Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB
  • Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 Gaming Memory
  • Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply
  • HDD: 500 GB SSD w/ 3D NAND
  • Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro 4
Link to the PC I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SkyTech-...-w-3D-NAND-650-Watts-Windows-10-Hom/569243217

Its likely it's the 8gb of system ram. Is it one stick or two? If it's one stick, it means you are running in single channel mode as opposed to dual channel. Dual channel will bring an extra 10-15% extra performance. In addition the ram is relatively slow. Fast ram is essential for Ryzen. 3000mhz ram give another 10-15% performance boost over 2400mhz ram.

When your 8gb of ram fill up, it starts to use the swap/pagefile on your HD/SSD, this causes the FPS drops your experiencing. If you had a 2 x 8gb memory kit, then your issues would go away, and your FPS will get a nice boost.

Reactions: AgentAdam

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019
Its likely it's the 8gb of system ram. Is it one stick or two? If it's one stick, it means you are running in single channel mode as opposed to dual channel. Dual channel will bring an extra 10-15% extra performance. In addition the ram is relatively slow. Fast ram is essential for Ryzen. 3000mhz ram give another 10-15% performance boost over 2400mhz ram.

When your 8gb of ram fill up, it starts to use the swap/pagefile on your HD/SSD, this causes the FPS drops your experiencing. If you had a 2 x 8gb memory kit, then your issues would go away, and your FPS will get a nice boost.
Yeah its only a 1x8 stick. Thank you I will look to getting a dual channel!