[SOLVED] Is my cooler ruined?

Andyharris84

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Hello you lovely lot.

I've just swapped out the stock cooler that came with my ryzen 5 3600x (Wraith Stealth I believe) and I have changed it for a RGB enabled Wraith Prisim. I followed all the steps and I'm 90% sure I've not done anything incorrect during the installation (pretty new to this PC building malarkey so cant be certain) I have powered up my PC and although the fan is spinning and lighting it's making a pretty horrendous noise. I quickly shutdown the PC in fear it was about to go up in smoke. I've taken a short video which you can see below. It definitely doesn't sound right but I cant see that anything is caught. It sounds as though the fan has a knackered bearing or the blades may be scraping the case. Is the fan completely borked or is it just not fitted correctly?

Video

Any help or suggestions I'd be super grateful. Worst case scenario I still have the old cooler so not all is lost I suppose.

Specs are as follows.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4

MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB

Last edited:
Solution
Push your finger onto the hub of the fan momentarily to stop it spinning just to verify that it the fan, double check that there is nothing clipping the blades, if that fails then try a reinstall, and if it's still making the noise try your old cooler to double check nothing is wrong with the cpu fan header.

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Push your finger onto the hub of the fan momentarily to stop it spinning just to verify that it the fan, double check that there is nothing clipping the blades, if that fails then try a reinstall, and if it's still making the noise try your old cooler to double check nothing is wrong with the cpu fan header.

Solution

Andyharris84

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Turns out the fan was faulty. I've been sent a replacement and its working as expected with no issues. I'm glad it wasn't my shoddy installation causing a problem.

Thanks again to you all for the comments and suggestions.