Question Is my cooling more than adequate for a Ryzen 9 7900X ?

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
Deepcool LT720 connected to 3 top exhaust fans, 1 exhaust fan in the back, 3 intake in the front

I used to hover between 47-55C while idling until yesterday, and be between 60-75C in games except for notorious heaters such as NFS Heat where I'd go to 85C usually

But for the past 1-2 days it's been 70-80C in most games not just NFS Heat. Also the AIO seems to take longer to cool down the CPU from 80C to sub 70 like 67C usually (by about 3-4 sec)

Is this cooling adequate and are these temps normal given that my room is noticeably hotter than usual (it's summer here, rather hot outside too tho my windows are open), or should I invest in a custoom loop?

You have to remember, if the temperature goes up in your pc room the temps will also go up on the cooling effect. Your aio uses room temperature air to blow across the radiator, so it can never cool below room temperature. It takes on average 15 minutes for the aio to get to it's max cooling ability also. If your 7900x never goes above 80c you are fine. The 7900x has I believe a 95c threshold.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
You have to remember, if the temperature goes up in your pc room the temps will also go up on the cooling effect. Your aio uses room temperature air to blow across the radiator, so it can never cool below room temperature. It takes on average 15 minutes for the aio to get to it's max cooling ability also. If your 7900x never goes above 80c you are fine. The 7900x has I believe a 95c threshold.
But it does go beyond 80C before it cools back down in like 5 seconds or so

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
85 is ok too. When you know you are going to play a game that heats up the cpu past 80c use a more aggresive setting on your aio to cool it.
So when do I have an actual issue? If the temps stay at 95C all the time? I remember prior to switching over to my current full mesh case, that was the case all the time. And my CPU would throttle all the time too

Keep in mind that water has a much larger specific heat value than metal, which means its temperature takes a while to change. This works both ways: while it takes a while for the temperature of water to go up, it also takes a while for it to go down after the load goes away.

Honestly, given the CPU is designed to operate at 95C, 80C is more than fine.

So when do I have an actual issue? If the temps stay at 95C all the time? I remember prior to switching over to my current full mesh case, that was the case all the time. And my CPU would throttle all the time too
You say your cpu throttles itself at 95c. That is the built in safeguard for the cpu. When it throttles it is reducing power to keep itself from burning out. Running the cpu at these temps (at 95c) is ultimately not good for the cpu and can/will shorten its lifespan. As long as your cpu is not thermal throttling itself your cpu is in the safe zone if you will.