Question Is my Corsair PSU causing the unexpected shutdowns ?

Kwyjibo_75

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
A couple of weeks ago, my computer shut down unexpectedly, then started to reboot. I think it corrupted Windows, so I reinstalled Windows (new SSD), updated the BIOS, and have been restoring the drivers. Twice now it has shut down unexpectedly but now it doesn't reboot when that happens. The mobo status light pulses, like it's trying to start up, but can't. (It's not pulsing like it is sleeping, it's different.) I have to toggle the power off/on at the PSU, then I'm able to turn on the computer normally, and it boots normally.

All of the times I've seen the shutdown, it has been under very light use, and the first time it happened there weren't any hardware changes.

I've got limited experience, but does this sound like a PSU issue? I'm having trouble convincing myself because it is a Corsair RM850x, and it's less than a year old!

Thanks in advance,
K

Specs:
i7-12700K
MSI GTX 1650
Corsair 32 GB RAM
MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk Mobo
Corsair RM850x PSU

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm having trouble convincing myself because it is a Corsair RM850x, and it's less than a year old!

For persuasion, consider the following two:
1. There are lemons, even among the best.
2. There is a reason why PSUs have a warranty.

If you understand both, there wouldn't be much of a reason, why not to replace the PSU (or RMA it) and try with 2nd, known to work and good quality PSU.