[SOLVED] Is my Corsair RAM at fault?

Oct 28, 2019
Hi all, I've posted about this many times, but now I feel I have pinned the problem down to my ram. A little bit of background, my computer did not have enough ram to supply my Ryzen CPU, so I decided to upgrade it with a 2x8 corsair memory kit. Once installed, I noticed my games would frequently crash, and so would my computer, mainly with RAM related stop codes such as "Memory Management". I ran a Windows memory diagnostic and found the results in my event viewer littered with errors, and warnings. My question here is, A, do I have faulty RAM, and B, If I don't, what might be causing these problems? Thanks!

Solution
1st gen ryzen doesnt' support past 2666 and doesn't always love xmp profiles, i'd set everything to auto in the mainboard and the ram speed to 2666 or at most 2866 (auto, not xmp, and let it figure out the voltage it needs. ryzen does a nice job of dialing in voltages and latency, there's even a software override for your bios settings so you can tinker with your memory timings and cpu voltage/freq on the fly til you crash and burn!)

for the record my ryzen 1600 starts to lose stability if i clock the ram past 2866. base 3.2, boost 3.6, stable to 3.85 at 1.35v but i keep it at 3700/1.235v as the performance gains after 3.7 were nominal. ram speed is definitely the killer for gen1 ryzen

This is total nonsense. This is from the...
Did you buy that memory new or used?

Did you buy it in ONE set, or did each stick come separately even if they are the same part number?

Which EXACT slots are they installed in and what is the exact model of your motherboard, cpu, power supply and memory kit?

Oct 28, 2019
Did you buy that memory new or used?

Did you buy it in ONE set, or did each stick come separately even if they are the same part number?

Which EXACT slots are they installed in and what is the exact model of your motherboard, cpu, power supply and memory kit?

I bought the memory brand new at best buy, it was a 2x8 kit (one set) with the model number being "cmk16gx4m2b3000c15" (it's just 2x8 corsair vengeance 3000mhz kit) but I have it clocked at 2933mhz. they are installed in the second and fourth slot from the left. The cpu is a ryzen 5 1400 and the power supply I am unsure of, but I think I remember it being EVGA (I'm unsure of the model), but it could just be a crappy one seeing as the computer was a pre-built. the motherboard is a B350M Bazooka. hope this helps.

Cuberto

Prominent
Apr 14, 2020
1st gen ryzen doesnt' support past 2666 and doesn't always love xmp profiles, i'd set everything to auto in the mainboard and the ram speed to 2666 or at most 2866 (auto, not xmp, and let it figure out the voltage it needs. ryzen does a nice job of dialing in voltages and latency, there's even a software override for your bios settings so you can tinker with your memory timings and cpu voltage/freq on the fly til you crash and burn!)

for the record my ryzen 1600 starts to lose stability if i clock the ram past 2866. base 3.2, boost 3.6, stable to 3.85 at 1.35v but i keep it at 3700/1.235v as the performance gains after 3.7 were nominal. ram speed is definitely the killer for gen1 ryzen

This is total nonsense. This is from the B350 Tomahawk specifications, which is a first gen chipset.

• 4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 128GB *ComboPI 1.0.0.3-based and above BIOS are required.
- Supports DDR4 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 3200(OC)+ Mhz *
• Dual channel memory architecture

The ONLY way you are limited to 2400mhz or lower is if you are using an Athlon or A-series CPU. So pretty much everything you posted is wrong. Plenty of systems running with 1st Gen Ryzen processors and 2933mhz or 3200mhz memory kits installed.

Solution