Question Is my CPPC Masterliquid Lite 360mm AIO good enough for an i9-13900k or do I need an upgrade? Should I get a new contact frame?

Dec 29, 2022
I've been told by some it's fine, others that it's terrible and I need to replace it.

Currently, thermals are OK, but I suppose could be better. Hit 39k on Cinebench at around 92 with PPL1/2 at 253 and a small -0.040 undervolt. In gaming it's not too bad, sitting around low-high 60s, sometimes 70s depending on the game (but I'm fine with that).

I've heard good things about the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 as well as the iCUE H150i RGB ELITE Liquid CPU Cooler.

I've also seen many say that going with a Thermal Grizzly or Thermalright contact frame reduced temps by a whopping 10c - some on reddit call it "snake oil". Just using the Intel LGA1700 at the moment.

Any input appreciated.

DavidM012

Distinguished
See Gamer's Nexus $4.35 fix for intel thermal problems if you wait 3 months for p&p you can get 'a contact frame' for $5 from ali express which is just as good apart from not being machined to really tight tolerances that may affect extreme memory overclocking.

It can also prevent your CPU from warping like the edges of the rather large cpu package pcb can start to curl upwards. Yes we have entered the wacky world of having to remove the mobo cpu bracket to prevent a new cpu problem and needing to know about it before rather than after the cpu has warped.

The prequel to the above youtube is Investigating Intel's CPU Socket Problems.

What is the make/model of your current cooler?
What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What are the rest of your parts?

You seem to be running well now with a top end processor so I would not be inclined to change anything.

Contact frames and such may void your Intel warranty.

Yes, a good cooler can improve your top turbo so a 360 aio might help.
But... would you really detect the difference?

I would be more inclined to spend my budget elsewhere.
Perhaps a big 4k monitor.

DavidM012

Distinguished
So they don't really trust that you can install it right or have the patience to torque it down slow and even, well simply accidentally bending a pin in your cpu socket voids your mobo warranty.

Think intel chips have a 3 year warranty? It's the mobo manufacturer's ILM (independent loading mechanism) that 'cocks' the cpu in the socket - Investigating Intel's socket problems @ 11:45 minutes because it has only one arm rather than two or an all around contact frame like amd threadripper.

What's the plot? So will Intel rma your CPU if it warps in 3 years but void your warranty if you successfully install a contact frame that improves the thermals and stops it warping?

End of the day it just looks like you're trying to prove whose at fault while you can't sue the mobo manufacturer for installing an ILM that warps your CPU and you can't get your CPU warranty and they don't trust you can simply install a cpu in the socket without bending pins or over-torquing the contact frame? Intel only makes the cpu, right? You choose the mobo. Who knows if they all have single arm ILM's or only the 'cheap' boards? So you shouldn't buy cheap boards, then?

So should you not be able to prove you installed it right by simply videoing the installation process and if the cpu or mobo craps out due to a defect of some kind have a valid RMA?

Well it sound like you have to go through an entire process of arguing with them and proving your point with a disinterested audience that can't be bothered and so boohoo if your cpu warps and boohoo if your cpu had a defect but you can't prove it.

Well you could go on arguing if they blame you for installing it incorrectly shouldn't they have to prove it too? However it is clear from the video than the single lever ILM does offset the cpu in the socket and the cooler doesn't make flush contact so if in 3 years your cpu warps and doesn't make good contact in the socket then you just have to buy more Intel cpus.

Pwomise me that if the cpu warps in under 3 years and doesn't work any more, making good contact with the socket pins, and you didn't use a contact frame, the reseller or Intel will rma the cpu then?

Well if you could install a contact frame hassle free wouldn't your thermals improve if you just used a 6 or 7 pipe dual tower cooler like a thermalright peerless or noctua or dark rock or something?

Maybe 'system integrators' could take care of some of it, might still leave home builders out on a limb. Maybe the mobo manufacturers simply shouldn't have compromised on the ILM, then. Cutting costs just passed the buck to 'untrustworthy' consumers and system builders? All sounds a bit phooey.

Last edited: