[SOLVED] Is my CPU 4820k 3.60 GHz too outdated for 4k?

Solution
4k is HEAVILY gpu dependent and needs lots of gpu horsepower. however, the cpu side of it is not as important. you can look for some benchmarks done for that cpu and it might be ok for many games.

tom's did a bunch of tests before with 4k and found that even a dual core pentium was almost as good as the 8 thread i7's of the time for 4k!! the cpu spends a lot of time waiting for the gpu so less cpu power is needed.

do some looking and you may be surprised what you can do at 4k with the cpu.
it's very close to the limit, and I think in most cases your gpu is not fully utilized. That cpu is missing few important bits, and its performance is a not up to current top performers.

I guess its up to the title this cpu can handle some of them, but some titles will be overpowering the cpu.
also in my experiance 4k needs fast storage and m.2 NVME would help, especially if you target 4k VR. Its not easy to squeze more from 5y old cpu, so I would recommend going to 10'th gen intel (not 9 for lower temps) or maybe wait for next ryzen cpu's as they also seem very nice options.

if you want to pull the trigger now, best choice is 3700x/3900x ryzen.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
4k is HEAVILY gpu dependent and needs lots of gpu horsepower. however, the cpu side of it is not as important. you can look for some benchmarks done for that cpu and it might be ok for many games.

tom's did a bunch of tests before with 4k and found that even a dual core pentium was almost as good as the 8 thread i7's of the time for 4k!! the cpu spends a lot of time waiting for the gpu so less cpu power is needed.

Reactions: mammoth noel
Solution
Jul 10, 2020

Very helpful thank you