[SOLVED] Is my cpu a bottleneck for my gpu?

Sep 4, 2019
Pc Specs-
Cpu: i7 3770 @3.4ghz
Ram: 16gb @1866mhz
Mobo: Zebronice h61
Gpu: Gtx 1070 8gb

When i play PUBG or type of game, my cpu usage is always at 100% and gpu usage always bouncing at 40-70% range and it never goes above that. So, i dont understand that what the problem here is. I've tried many things and can't figure out the problem.

Solution
if you are happy with the real performance do not upgrade.
You have plenty of ram. you have an i7 that still beats bets i5 that you could fit into laptop a year ago(i5 7300hq)
I own this one so i know myself.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3770-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7300HQ/1979vsm223877
I would wait for another generation to get cheaper and get i7 9700 or even i9. dont waste your money.

If you really want to spend some little money onto something that you can carry into another PC setup in the future, I would buy let's say 256gb SSD.

I would not say 3770 is bottle-necking this GPU however for me this CPU is a bare minimum for this graphic card.
Even if it is bottle-necking we are talking about max 4% so this is...

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
if you are happy with the real performance do not upgrade.
You have plenty of ram. you have an i7 that still beats bets i5 that you could fit into laptop a year ago(i5 7300hq)
I own this one so i know myself.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3770-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7300HQ/1979vsm223877
I would wait for another generation to get cheaper and get i7 9700 or even i9. dont waste your money.

If you really want to spend some little money onto something that you can carry into another PC setup in the future, I would buy let's say 256gb SSD.

I would not say 3770 is bottle-necking this GPU however for me this CPU is a bare minimum for this graphic card.
Even if it is bottle-necking we are talking about max 4% so this is nothing.

other option is to overclock your CPU as its old enough. you will get 15-20% of power extra without even changing cooling fan.

Solution

Diddly

Distinguished
it's not the "K" version, so overclocking is unlikely, 16GB RAM is already sufficient for all gaming. SSD won't change framerates or game loading in general. You could try faster RAM and you could try making sure nothing else is running while gaming, shut down all other programs you might have running in the background. Have a system clearout.

Last edited: