Jul 7, 2019
i have an Hp laptop with the following specs-
CPU: AMD A10-9620P with Integrated Radeon R5 graphics 10 compute cores(4C+6G)
BIOS Version: Insyde F.13 9/7/2017
GPU(Linked):amd Radeon R7(TM)M340 2GB
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10240
RAM:8GB
AMD Graphics Driver: 18.2.1

I have been facing lag issues with almost all the games i play, the FPS is playable in most games (around 30-60) but after every 10 minutes or so the FPS just drops to below 15 for some time and then it becomes normal.The cycle continues throughout playing.

I tried using applications like MSI Afterburner, AMD Overdrive, GPUZ but they are never able to recognize my gpu and if they do they only show the stats for the integrated R5 one, not the other linked/discreet R7 graphics card.

Trying to update my amd graphic driver does not help as the latest version just crashes my display.

Using coretemp i found out that the max temperature my cpu gets to is 84C while playing heavy games like watch dogs 2 and still having the fps drop.
HWinfo64 shows that my mac GPU(R5 graphics) temp goes to 82C.

Please help to give me some information on reducing and managing the overheating.
What are the proper drivers i can install for the GPU?
Should i update my BIOS?( I'm afraid it might crash due to older windows version)
hIqhMLx.png

Solution
Is the laptop cooled with or without fans? My laptop is fanless, and so the CPU with integrated graphics hits 80°C at sustained full load (typically takes at least 2 hours). I used Afterburner to set a 30FPS limit, and the temperature climb is a lot slower, and I haven't seen it go above 72°C since then. Pretty decent for passive cooling.
Regardless, changing thermal paste should still be done if it hasn't for a long time.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
thats pretty toasty, I recommend replacing the thermal paste on your cpu and gpu. you can find many videos on the internet showing how to take apart pretty much every laptop, its also fairly easy. If you don't want to go that route I might suggest updating windows to the latest version then, updating your drivers, as when you update the display doesn't work until its done updating, so usually once you are done updating the laptop should restart automatically and you will get your display back

Jul 7, 2019
thats pretty toasty, I recommend replacing the thermal paste on your cpu and gpu. you can find many videos on the internet showing how to take apart pretty much every laptop, its also fairly easy. If you don't want to go that route I might suggest updating windows to the latest version then, updating your drivers, as when you update the display doesn't work until its done updating, so usually once you are done updating the laptop should restart automatically and you will get your display back
Thanks for the input
I'll surely update the windows and try replacing the thermal paste.

Is the laptop cooled with or without fans? My laptop is fanless, and so the CPU with integrated graphics hits 80°C at sustained full load (typically takes at least 2 hours). I used Afterburner to set a 30FPS limit, and the temperature climb is a lot slower, and I haven't seen it go above 72°C since then. Pretty decent for passive cooling.
Regardless, changing thermal paste should still be done if it hasn't for a long time.

Solution
Jul 7, 2019

My CPU hits 82°C within 10-20mins depending on how demanding the game is and then throttles down for about a minute after which the cycle continues.
I tried using Afterburner but it doesn't work, it shows zero on both the dials.