[SOLVED] Is my cpu bad?

May 27, 2020
Motherboard: Asus prime B450M-A
Ram: 8gb
Gpu: RX580 Nitro+ 4gb

cpu: ryzen 3 3200g

Nearly none of my games can run on my pc and those which can, freeze very often. I don't know if the problem is the cpu or the gpu! can you help me? Also can you tell me what a good upgrade would be?

Thanks

Solution
Hey there,

So what games do you play? What resolution is your monitor?

Straight off, I'd say it's possibly a combination of a couple of things.

The CPU is ok. It's low end-ish. It's a 4c/4t CPU, so it can max out easily enough in games like BF V/COD/and most AAA games.

In addition you have 8gbs of ram. That's not bad in of itself, but if it's slow ram (2400mhz) and only 1 x 8gb stick of ram, you are loosing out on about 20-30 percent performance. Ryzen loves fast ram (3200mhz+) and also dual channel. Dual channel is when you have to sticks of ram working together, which gives more performance too.

A good upgrade for the CPU would be a Ryzen 3600. And for ram, if you can get 16gb of fast ram, that will give you some breathing room...
Hey there,

The CPU is ok. It's low end-ish. It's a 4c/4t CPU, so it can max out easily enough in games like BF V/COD/and most AAA games.

In addition you have 8gbs of ram. That's not bad in of itself, but if it's slow ram (2400mhz) and only 1 x 8gb stick of ram, you are loosing out on about 20-30 percent performance. Ryzen loves fast ram (3200mhz+) and also dual channel. Dual channel is when you have to sticks of ram working together, which gives more performance too.

A good upgrade for the CPU would be a Ryzen 3600. And for ram, if you can get 16gb of fast ram, that will give you some breathing room, and a big boost in performance, as would the better CPU (R3600).

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)From the last time you changed motherboards, did you reinstall Windows? Backup your important files on the C drive and do that.
Then install the motherboard drivers - chipset, audio, lan, and sata.

2)Is that single channel, or dual channel? Dual channel is preferred.

3)Connects to #1: what is the speed of the ram? Ryzen prefers fast memory, and the 3200g would like 2933-3200mhz.

4)Cpu and gpu thermals are good? Ryzen Master for cpu, Msi Afterburner for gpu.

5)Check the temp and condition of your storage drives. You can use Crystal Disk Info if your drive(s) don't have their own software. Link: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

6)Did you cheap out on the power supply? The RX 580 is a good 1080p gpu, but it does not play nice with low quality power supplies.
And no, wattage does not equal quality.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
May 27, 2020
1)From the last time you changed motherboards, did you reinstall Windows? Backup your important files on the C drive and do that.
Then install the motherboard drivers - chipset, audio, lan, and sata.

2)Is that single channel, or dual channel? Dual channel is preferred.

3)Connects to #1: what is the speed of the ram? Ryzen prefers fast memory, and the 3200g would like 2933-3200mhz.

4)Cpu and gpu thermals are good? Ryzen Master for cpu, Msi Afterburner for gpu.

5)Check the temp and condition of your storage drives. You can use Crystal Disk Info if your drive(s) don't have their own software. Link: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

6)Did you cheap out on the power supply? The RX 580 is a good 1080p gpu, but it does not play nice with low quality power supplies.
And no, wattage does not equal quality.

Thanks for replying!
  1. I haven't changed motherboards this is my original build
  2. It's dual channel
  3. The speed of the ram is 3200 MHz
  4. I am not sure about the cpu but the gpu thermals are great
  5. What are some good results?
  6. I am not very familiar with this stuff so I can only tell you the model of the power supply. It is the Gigabyte Power Supply GP-P650B 650W 80+ Bronze

May 27, 2020
Hey there,

A good upgrade for the CPU would be a Ryzen 3600. And for ram, if you can get 16gb of fast ram, that will give you some breathing room, and a big boost in performance, as would the better CPU (R3600).
I play Modern Warfare, gtaV, little bit of Valorant, and other open world games ( tomb raider, just cause etc)
The ram is dual channel and the speed is 3200MHz.
The problem I have with most of the games is that the game "lags" and freezes for a couple of seconds. I don't know if that is because of the ram, the cpu or the gpu. Also my internet connection is fine lol

I play Modern Warfare, gtaV, little bit of Valorant, and other open world games ( tomb raider, just cause etc)
The ram is dual channel and the speed is 3200MHz.
The problem I have with most of the games is that the game "lags" and freezes for a couple of seconds. I don't know if that is because of the ram, the cpu or the gpu. Also my internet connection is fine lol

After the extra info you've given, i'd narrow it down to the CPU maxing out. Some of those games, need more CPU resource.

Run MSI afterburner, set it to show your CPU Usage/temps and GPU usage/temps/vram and finally system ram usage . You can show this on screen while your gaming. If your CPU maxes out (it will hit 99 or 100%) and you experience a freeze as you've described, then that's the issue. Same applied to your ram (you can see if the 8gbs maxes too). If either or both CPU/Ram maxes out, you will get the exact issue you have,

I doubt it's your GPU, as at 1080p, there are hardly any games that use more than 4gbs. But again, it's close, with more AAA games demanding more Vram at lower res. But for the most part the RX580 even with 4gbs is a great 1080p High/Ultra Settings GPU for 1080p.

As suggested, Hardware wise, you are just slightly under powered for what you want to achieve.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with the above posts. You are a little underspecced for what you want to run.

Now, the freezing thing was a tad confusing to me. If what's actually happening is that the games are PAUSING on you - from maxed out cpu load, instead of freezing, then yeah, I'd say it's also the cpu.
I attribute freezing to crashing, which would definitely make this a psu issue - or even a driver issue, if those are outdated.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead