InsaneGuy437

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
PC Specs:
6700k 4.0Ghz
(I don't know what ram I have, it's unkown)16gb DDr4 2133 Mhz
Gtx 1070 EVGA Founders edition overclocked +200 core clock +350 Memory Clock
MSI B150M Bazooka

While I play BF1, both my CPU and GPU are at 100% usage which causes fps lag from time to time. Someone told me that my CPU was bottlenecking, and I should buy a new motherboard and overclock the CPU. Once I go into a BF1 match, not even 10 minutes into the game it's at 100%. After a few hours of playing games, I get random lag spikes. I didn't have msi afterburner so I can't tell what my CPU and GPU usages are. If there is a way to fix this please help!

Solution
Those are awfully close to the throtteling temps, that's probably it. It seems you have a GPU bottleneck accompanied by thermal throttleing.
There are a few options:
1.) Remove your overclock. Overclocks are only any good if they're stable and dont generate so much heat that they throttle. Yours may be causing the latter, as the Founders edition (dispite looking awesome IMO) has a very ineffecient blower style cooler, which is only ideal for small cases with little airflow. With GPU boost 3.0, the card will OC itself when there is thermal and power headroom. Removing your overclock and allowing the card to run at stock might reduce your temps and remove the throttleing. If just removing the OC and the next option arnt enough, look at...

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
If you really want to see what your usages are try HWiNFo.
I don't know too much about games but I read somewhere that multiplayer is very taxing on the CPU because it must process all of the players movements and actions, so I wouldn't rule out a CPU bottleneck.
Install HWiNFo and tell us the CPU usage on all of the individual cores/threads, GPU, and RAM, then we can defiantly tell you what the bottleneck is and how/ if you can fix it.

InsaneGuy437

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

Alright I'll do that right now! Thanks for the reply

InsaneGuy437

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

Okay so I just played a game of BF1 and it just changed. My speeds aren't at 100%, my GPU is around 90%

InsaneGuy437

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

Yes clockspeeds. The gpu just stays around 83 never above 90. My CPU temps are around 60-70

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Those are awfully close to the throtteling temps, that's probably it. It seems you have a GPU bottleneck accompanied by thermal throttleing.
There are a few options:
1.) Remove your overclock. Overclocks are only any good if they're stable and dont generate so much heat that they throttle. Yours may be causing the latter, as the Founders edition (dispite looking awesome IMO) has a very ineffecient blower style cooler, which is only ideal for small cases with little airflow. With GPU boost 3.0, the card will OC itself when there is thermal and power headroom. Removing your overclock and allowing the card to run at stock might reduce your temps and remove the throttleing. If just removing the OC and the next option arnt enough, look at this vdeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBj9u2binds
2.) Add more fans or better fans to your case. Case fans can be fairly cheap, exspeicily when you only need a couple. Getting these aditional fans could help to move more air over your GPU and cool it down a bit. Exhoust fans wont help due to the nature of the Founders Edition cooler, but more intakes could get rid of an accidental and unideal negitive pressure system (air gets sucked into the case thouhgh any cracks/ holes/ unused fan slots) and replace it with a better postitive pressure one.
3.) I put this last because its really the worst possible solution of the three- buy a new GPU with a better cooler. You would probably get a better overclock that way too, and it would be cooler, but only if the performence your getting is really, really bothering you enough to justify the pricve of a new card when you alreay have the one most people (myself included) want.

Solution

InsaneGuy437

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

I don't think so, most people say those temperatures are fine.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

84 degrees is the default thermal limit on Pascal GPUs. If its near 100% usage, but its slowed itself down, and its 1 degree away from the thermal cap, its throttling.

InsaneGuy437

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

Oh okay