Question Is my cpu broken?

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Hi, i have i7 7700k and have it on 40x ratio x 100mhz bckl (4ghz) and is on 65-85 c
I am trying to use it on 41x or 42x but the temp is so hight, on 41x reach 90c on 100% load, can my CPU be broken or something? i tried replacing thermal paste with artic mx-5 but same temps. also good airflow and other components on good temp

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any time you increase clock speed there is almost always going to be a voltage increase along with it. OC a CPU is always a chance that you have a chip good at it or lesser so, and sometimes not at all.

Consider more effective cooling or not using that much multiplier. You could attempt to try working with the voltage to see if you can get the same clocks with less. Takes a lot of trial and error.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Any time you increase clock speed there is almost always going to be a voltage increase along with it. OC a CPU is always a chance that you have a chip good at it or lesser so, and sometimes not at all.

Consider more effective cooling or not using that much multiplier. You could attempt to try working with the voltage to see if you can get the same clocks with less. Takes a lot of trial and error.
actual core voltage at 1.08 V

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Just for "another opinion" DL hardware monitor to see if you are seeing the same voltages. If so, try to set those on a manual setting and see if stable. Then slightly decrease and test until it becomes unstable.
on hw monitor vid 1.117 min - 1.136 max. not sure how much should i set it on manual

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
OC equipment is risky and even more so if you aren't sure what you are doing. Any time you perform an overclock you could damage parts. Things such as cooling and power supply voltage and quality, motherboard VRM capability...

Much of the time for hardly notable performance gains.

In a case like this it is probable to be far more helpful if you list your components and discuss what the PC isn't doing as well as you desire.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
OC equipment is risky and even more so if you aren't sure what you are doing. Any time you perform an overclock you could damage parts. Things such as cooling and power supply voltage and quality, motherboard VRM capability...

Much of the time for hardly notable performance gains.

In a case like this it is probable to be far more helpful if you list your components and discuss what the PC isn't doing as well as you desire.
don't want to overclock, i want the default setting to not have hight temps, asus formula ix, i 7 7700k, 24 ram (8x3 3000mhz) rtx 2070

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Basically speaking, if you are locking the cores at 4 GHz you are overclocking. Unless there is something I don't know about how you did so, it's leaving all cores running at that speed regardless of load.

As @USAFRet has repeatedly pointed out, you should be able to restore proper temps by defaulting CPU behavior back to its stock parameters. It will then automatically provide boost where needed for the load at hand.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Basically speaking, if you are locking the cores at 4 GHz you are overclocking. Unless there is something I don't know about how you did so, it's leaving all cores running at that speed regardless of load.

As @USAFRet has repeatedly pointed out, you should be able to restore proper temps by defaulting CPU behavior back to its stock parameters. It will then automatically provide boost where needed for the load at hand.
nevermind, fixed it replacing cooler, probably the pin lock didn't do lot pressure, also if i set ratio to auto is not locked to a default ratio too?, how the auto mode CPU ratio workl?

Last edited: