Is my CPU compatible with my motherboard?

haydencf3

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I just bought a the Asus - STRIX B250H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. I was planning on buying the i5 7600k CPU, but decided I would buy a i3 8350k because it is slightly faster and less money. The CPU is a LGA1151 socket like the motherboard, but PC part picker says they are not compatible. Does anyone know why?

Solution
To expand:

Intel used the same socket, but re-arranged some of the pins to increase the power delivery to the new 6-core CPUs as well as possible future CPUs.

Despite the i3-8350k only being a quad core, they did not make it backwards compatible so that they wouldn't have to compromise or create an even more confusing situation. (Though they really should have marketed this as LGA1151-v2 or something.)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
To expand:

Intel used the same socket, but re-arranged some of the pins to increase the power delivery to the new 6-core CPUs as well as possible future CPUs.

Despite the i3-8350k only being a quad core, they did not make it backwards compatible so that they wouldn't have to compromise or create an even more confusing situation. (Though they really should have marketed this as LGA1151-v2 or something.)

Solution