Status
Not open for further replies.

whelt

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
AMD FX-6300 CPU
ASUS M5A99X EVO mobo
GTX 660 GPU

I put in the CPU without lifting the clamp first (it's my first time building), which caused some of the pins to bend. I turned on the computer in this state, and obviously nothing displayed and the CPU LED was on. I removed the heatsink and CPU and did my best to straighten the pins. They're not absolutely perfect, but it falls back into the slot with no resistance, so I thought it should be fine. I didn't have any more paste, so I hoped the leftover paste already on the parts would be good enough. Applied the clamp properly, attached the heatsink again, all sockets plugged in, but the CPU LED is still on and there's no display, no boot. Did I absolutely ruin the CPU? Is there any way to check? I can buy more thermal paste, but I had a feeling that's not the problem.

Solution

Ok to things. First I would try a mechanical pencil that uses .5 lead. Take the lead out and slip the the tip over the bent pins and bend them back into position. You do have to be careful though because if you compleatly break the pin than your CPU is pretty much dead.

Next thing is the thermal paste. Whenever you take off the heatsink you always have to clean the old thermal paste off and re-apply. Not doing so will cause very high temps and can cause overheating.

Solution

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Note to add, the thermal paste is *an* issue, but not *the* issue - it should boot up before old/insufficient thermal becomes any kind of issue. Definitely the issue is because of the pins - make damn sure they are all 100% perfect as recommended above, check the socket itself to make sure there is nothing in any of the holes, and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.