is my cpu dead?

okay im new here but i read alot about ocing and bought a 1500+ mobile
off of ebay but it was fired right off the back. but i still put it in
my pc and now my pc wont boot with my 2600+ so i put a working duron
800 and nothing so i know that my motherboard is dead, but the main
question is. i put my 2600+ 333fsb cpu in a old pc133 266 fsb
motherboard and it didnt boot/post at all. i checked the cpu and it
dont semm fired. i heard that you cant put a 333 cpu on a 266 boards.
but wont a 333 just boot at 266 speeds and my cpu is fired or the cpu
is not fired and i just need a new 333 board thanks alot for your time
any info you need to resolve my problem just ask oh and all my other
hardware work just not my board and maybe my cpu.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-cpu-dead-ftopict58534.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296269

"Feelx44" wrote:
> okay im new to this forum but i read alot about ocing and
> bought a 1500+ mobile off of ebay but it was fired right off
> the back. but i still put it in my pc and now my pc wont boot
> with my 2600+ so i put a working duron 800 and nothing so i
> know that my motherboard is dead, but the main question is. i
> put my 2600+ 333fsb cpu in a old pc133 266 fsb motherboard and
> it didnt boot/post at all. i checked the cpu and it dont semm
> fired. i heard that you cant put a 333 cpu on a 266 boards.
> but wont a 333 just boot at 266 speeds and my cpu is fired or
> the cpu is not fired and i just need a new 333 board thanks
> alot for your time any info you need to resolve my problem
> just ask oh and all my other hardware work just not my board
> and maybe my cpu.
>
> sorry im new. i posted in wrong section, i was supose to post
> on amd thunderbird ill post this there.

Yes and No

I have had 2600’s work on two 266 boards but not work on others. I
think it will come down to the BIOS of the board. Sometimes BIOS
updates are available to update 266Mhz boards to support 333mhz.

When the 2600’s worked they clocked back to the 266mhz and did not
seem to be a great deal slower at all.