Is my cpu dead?

Borislav_1

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
My computer wont start correctly, when i turn it on it works for 6 10 seconds, beep and shut down. Afterwards when i try to turn it on again the pc shuts down after 3 seconds every time... So is the cpu dead? Is the beep a singh that the cpu is still alive? I am planing on change the thermal paste, i presume it shuts down from overheating.
Ps: i moved ram, startes it with just one stick, re-plugged and plugged everything, tried to boot with only essential things, it's all the same.

Solution
If it was removed I could see it possibly being the issue. Choice is do you spend $25 on a cooler that you can use on a future build or $7 on paste

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Never seen just dry paste make a working system overheat to the point of shutting down. Now if the cooler was recently removed without new paste it could do it, or if the cooler is loose (try twisting it if it moves at all that's your issue) what CPU and CPU cooler do you have?

Borislav_1

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
My cpu is old, amd atlon 2.5gh dual core with the stock cooler, i build this pc using old parts, leftovers from newer build. I may have removed the cooler at some point and putting it back on, without applying new paste, but it still worked for some time even with the re-applied coller with old paste.
Also the cpu is around 7 years of age, without any paste being changed/re-applied.