Is my CPU dead?

cbankerjirachi

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
I have an AMD-FX 8320 8-Core Processor (Crosshair Formula V) and I have tried anything I can think of or find without asking questions live. I have tried to clear the CMOS, reseat the RAM, leave my computer alone for a few days, etc. My computer doesn't post and can't access BIOS or anything, the monitor receives no signal. My Q Code stays on 50.

I can give more information if I am asked questions but I am not sure what else to add for now. Thanks.

Solution
code 50 may be related to the memory sticks

I would try THIS to start:
1) reset CMOS (see motherboard manual) and/or unplug the PC then remove the battery for a minute then put it back

*note there may be certain settings such as UEFI Secure Boot, or USB, or "XMP" memory etc that you may need to set back later if you fix the issue.

2) no help?

3) turn off, then try a SINGLE STICK of memory (see motherboard manual for placement of single stick) then attempt boot again. If no luck, shut down and swap to a 2nd stick

4) if still no luck I'd guess the motherboard is the problem. I doubt the PSU since you have a Q-CODE showing that doesn't appear to indicate a power problem (due to the code AND because you have some power at least)
code 50 may be related to the memory sticks

I would try THIS to start:
1) reset CMOS (see motherboard manual) and/or unplug the PC then remove the battery for a minute then put it back

*note there may be certain settings such as UEFI Secure Boot, or USB, or "XMP" memory etc that you may need to set back later if you fix the issue.

2) no help?

3) turn off, then try a SINGLE STICK of memory (see motherboard manual for placement of single stick) then attempt boot again. If no luck, shut down and swap to a 2nd stick

4) if still no luck I'd guess the motherboard is the problem. I doubt the PSU since you have a Q-CODE showing that doesn't appear to indicate a power problem (due to the code AND because you have some power at least)

Solution

cbankerjirachi

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
I think that taking out the battery and re-inserting it fixed it. Thanks a ton, guys. It also might have been the other stick I had in, because I also tried switching sticks.