Question Is my CPU dead?

Aug 2, 2020
Ryzen 7 1800x

MSI B350 Tomahawk mobo

NZXT 850 PSU

Had the case open to install an NZXT internal usb hub, and went to restart after completion, there was a flash of life and then nothing. Completely dead.

That is to say that the power button did nothing, there were no signs of life at all.

After the usual freaking out occurred,

I tested with a known working PSU (and accompanying 24pin cable) and even went as far as stripping it right back to nothing but the bare essentials plugged in. Still nothing. Recently having a bad run with mobos dying on other PCs around me (cursed I am) I ponied up the $$ for mint new ASUS ROG Strix B450-F as it seemed logical that the Mobo had failed.

Just installed it all and the symptoms are the same, however the new board has RGB that lights up....

is the CPU dead? I haven't seen such behaviour before, nor have I ever had a cpu die before a mobo...

Still glad I do PCs and not cars xD

Appreciate any insight on this

Reactions: Bassplate

Bassplate

Reputable
Ryzen 7 1800x

MSI B350 Tomahawk mobo

NZXT 850 PSU

Had the case open to install an NZXT internal usb hub, and went to restart after completion, there was a flash of life and then nothing. Completely dead.

That is to say that the power button did nothing, there were no signs of life at all.

After the usual freaking out occurred,

I tested with a known working PSU (and accompanying 24pin cable) and even went as far as stripping it right back to nothing but the bare essentials plugged in. Still nothing. Recently having a bad run with mobos dying on other PCs around me (cursed I am) I ponied up the $$ for mint new ASUS ROG Strix B450-F as it seemed logical that the Mobo had failed.

Just installed it all and the symptoms are the same, however the new board has RGB that lights up....

is the CPU dead? I haven't seen such behaviour before, nor have I ever had a cpu die before a mobo...

Still glad I do PCs and not cars xD

Appreciate any insight on this
I would say try booting Your pc with only one RAM stick at a Time and one and each slot at a time...see if your BIOS and pc starts.
To test if it maybe could be your CPU you need to disconnect every Component connected on your Motherboard like (GPU..
RAM and HDD's)
Most importantly you MUST have a BIOS buzz speaker connected at all time.
So when you have disconnect evething i mentioned above turn on your pc and listen for any BIOS buzz beepes/noises...i f y ou hear any beeping noises it means your Motherboard and CPU is functional amd and that the problem is something els.
If you don't hear any beeping noises it means you have to replace your CPU for further testing:)

Aug 2, 2020
I would say try booting Your pc with only one RAM stick at a Time and one and each slot at a time...see if your BIOS and pc starts.
To test if it maybe could be your CPU you need to disconnect every Component connected on your Motherboard like (GPU..
RAM and HDD's)
Most importantly you MUST have a BIOS buzz speaker connected at all time.
So when you have disconnect evething i mentioned above turn on your pc and listen for any BIOS buzz beepes/noises...i f y ou hear any beeping noises it means your Motherboard and CPU is functional amd and that the problem is something els.
If you don't hear any beeping noises it means you have to replace your CPU for further testing:)

I don't have a bios buzz speaker unfortunately.

I purchased a new mobo, Asus Rog strix B450F. Tried to post with my Ryzen 7 1800x and I get zip.
I purchased a new CPU, Ryzen 5 3600XT and of course that works in the new Asus mobo but I'm down over $600 AUD which stings a bit.
If my cpu is toast, would my old mobo have gone with it?
I'm not super keen on testing it with my new cpu. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time :)

TRENDING THREADS