Question Is my cpu dying?

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
Hello community, I have had this issue once before but then the problem was fixed by refreshing my ssd, but the problem is back and I think its not the software but my cpu. the problem is when I watch youtube videos and when I play certain games. with youtube it almost always gives a blue screen. and with games it sometimes crashes during launch. Im talking about games that use Java like minecraft. my specs are an athlon x4 750k 8gb ddr3 ram GTX 970 (yes i know this is a heavy bottleneck but it worked for a long while) and a 430w psu. is this solvable by buying a new cpu with motherboard and ram? (also norton says cpu usage spikes during Grandtheftauto en java, and the cpu is nearly 5 years old)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While not impossible, CPUs are pretty robust. If they're not DOA and are not given ridiculous voltages, they should last a very long time.

Almost any other component in your build (sans RAM, which tends to be similar to a CPU) would be a more likely culprit than the CPU itself.

What do you mean "refreshing" the SSD? Did you replace the SSD? Or "refresh" Windows?

Crashing during launches would be more likely to be a driver level issue..... potentially power, but I'd expect the system to just shut off in that instance.

With the blue screen, are you seeing any error messages?

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
While not impossible, CPUs are pretty robust. If they're not DOA and are not given ridiculous voltages, they should last a very long time.

Almost any other component in your build (sans RAM, which tends to be similar to a CPU) would be a more likely culprit than the CPU itself.

What do you mean "refreshing" the SSD? Did you replace the SSD? Or "refresh" Windows?

Crashing during launches would be more likely to be a driver level issue..... potentially power, but I'd expect the system to just shut off in that instance.

With the blue screen, are you seeing any error messages?
with refreshing I mean whiping the thing leaving nothing on it, was a though thing to do because I didnt got to back up everything and thus lost alot of files. but if its not the cpu then might it be the power supply? because that could be a thing
considering Im using a GTX 970 with a 430watt power supply