Question Is my CPU Dying?

Madruuu

Commendable
Mar 31, 2017
So I have an I7 7700k overclocked to 4.8ghz at 1.29 vcore (auto), my PC just recently started turning off and I went to check my temps it was peaking at 100 degrees celsius on some games, it may have been like that for more than a year, still my pc just turned off twice and in the same day before I checked temps.
So to solve the high temp issue i turned the overclock from 4.8 to 4.6ghz, and lowered the voltage to 1.2, temps are much better, it wont go past 80 degrees in heavy load.
But it still turns off in the same applications, rather my pc automatically restarts now instead of turning off.

Is it possible that my CPU is failing?
There is no other odd behaviour besides restarting.

Madruuu

Commendable
Mar 31, 2017
Yes, but it could also be your PSU. Set your CPU at stock, and see if it's the same. It could be the thermal paste on the CPU has degraded over time, and is not dissipating the heat enough to the cooler. So it could be CPU throttling too.

List your specs, including the PSU.

Oh yea I forgot to mention that when it first turned off I took my air cooler off and applied new thermal paste, after that the temps were still the same, I only fixed the temps after turning my voltage down.

My specs:
  • I7 7700k
  • RTX 2070 Super (I had a GTX 1070 before, it first turned off one day after installing the RTX, coincidence?)
  • 16GB(8x2) RAM 2400hz corsair vengeance
  • MSI Z270 A-Pro Mobo
  • 2x SSDs and 1 HDD
- Corsair RM650x PSU.

Did you try everything at stock settings?

I'm not sure if there would be any correlation to the 1070 dying and high CPU temps, but i guess nothing is impossible. Bios update, system driver and GPU driver up to date?

What way did you put the paste on. It should be a pea sized blob, placed in the centre if the IHS and then seat the cooler on top, making sure it's seated well, and locked in all four corners. If it was off on even one corner, it could defo cause that issue.

How old is the PSU?

Have you been pushing that PSU with OC's for a while. GPU overclocked?