[SOLVED] Is my CPU enough to handle a new graphics card

Apr 9, 2020
I am planning on getting a GTX 1660 Super 6GB graphics card for my pc (upgrading from a GTX 1050 2GB). And My CPU is a AMD FX 6300. Would the new Graphics card be a good mix with the processor? Or would it cause too much bottlenecking?

Solution
You'll probably see some improvement, but as sizzling said it isn't going to work well at the resolutions that card is designed to run. If your only problem is the 2GB frame buffer, you should see a huge jump, but that's only going to happen in very niche situtations.

While I wouldn't recommend investing more in a dead platform, an FX-8320 might be a good stopgap if you're budget is tight. The FX-6300 is essentially a 3 core CPU with hyper-threading and the cores themselves are not very fast to begin with. The FX-8320 is slightly faster out of the box and works as essentially a quad core, which most newer titles are becoming dependent on. While the FX-8350 and above are considerably better, they are going for over a hundred while the...

Anonymiter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
You'll probably see some improvement, but as sizzling said it isn't going to work well at the resolutions that card is designed to run. If your only problem is the 2GB frame buffer, you should see a huge jump, but that's only going to happen in very niche situtations.

While I wouldn't recommend investing more in a dead platform, an FX-8320 might be a good stopgap if you're budget is tight. The FX-6300 is essentially a 3 core CPU with hyper-threading and the cores themselves are not very fast to begin with. The FX-8320 is slightly faster out of the box and works as essentially a quad core, which most newer titles are becoming dependent on. While the FX-8350 and above are considerably better, they are going for over a hundred while the 8350 is popping up around $50. If you can find a good deal on a used one it might be enough to make good use out of the GTX 1660.

Reactions: Domeury
Solution