Question Is my CPU faulty, hindering my build?

Nov 25, 2019
Hey guys so I am a first time builder. I have an issue where games are not performing the way I think they should be. Even though I do get a lot of fps (around 120+), the games like modern warfare, fortnite etc. do not feel smooth. Also when I aim in it feels like the cursor is stuttery when I make small and steady adjustments.

I play on a 60hz 1080 monitor and tried to lock the fps to many different caps to see how it effects things (ex 60,80,120,unlimited), they all feel different when playing games but none of them feel smooth/ the way I think they should.

I am basically asking for your opinion/advice of how to check if this a hardware issue, a monitor issue, or maybe a software or settings issue.

Lastly, my parts are

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe
Memory: Corsair Vengance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200

Here are the link to my latest benchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22052734
I have ran CINEBENCH and it looks like my CPU is underperforming. I am getting a scores like 3056, 2978.

Please advise if it is possible that my parts are bottle-necked or how I can check if I really do have a faulty part. Let me know if I can provide more info.

First things first. Did you install all the relevant motherboard drivers from the MSI and GPU drivers from the Nvidia website? Don't rely on Windows to get drivers, either they are default drivers or very out of date ones.

Second make sure your RAM is running at the correct speed via the BIOS.

The last thing would be to check your thermals, you can do this for your CPU via the AMD Ryzen Master software and for your GPU use something like MSI Afterburner (which can also be used for overclocking if you wish)

After that would try a higher refresh monitor, 60hz is noticeably slow these days. I would aim for a 100-144hz 1440P Panel if it was me, 1080P looks terrible once you get use to the higher resolutions.

Even though you are limited to 60Hz, you should play with as high an fps as you can. At 120fps and 60Hz, your response time will feel faster than 60fps. One think to check for is if your games have mouse smoothing enabled and then disable it, because it's a terrible and only really relevant to joysticks on a controller. I am usually against enabling v-sync at anything below 72hz, but you could try using adaptive v-sync in game or in the Nvidia control panel. If you installed mouse software for mouse, check to see if you have any kind of acceleration settings enabled. You may also want to lower your mouse sensitivity if you have it set very high. Also, check your mouse pad and the mouses optical sensor for dust or hair.