Question Is my cpu fried, rig won't start

Jun 24, 2019
I built a pc and stopped playing for a year and recently tried to start it up, plugged it in pressed power and the psu fried itself. Just bought a new psu hooked everything up, all mobo lights are on but when I press the power button my other lights flash, liquid cooler, gpu and psu fan light all flash for a split second and nothing happens no fans spin or anything else. Tried clearing the cmos, booting up with only 1 ram stick in at a time, booting up without the gpu plugged in at all. All cords are tightly in and brand new.
Rig specs are, amd 9590, 970 pro aura gaming mobo, corsair h100x cooler, 1060 6bg windforce, and a thunder v2 735w modular power supply. It's only 15 w less than my old one

Power supplies don't normally fry themselves after just sitting, unless they've been sitting someplace damp or had something spilled down in them that is either liquid or conductive, unless they are REALLY cheap units, so it's likely there was something else going on like a motherboard capacitor that crapped the bed or a foreign object that got down in between the board and case and shorted something out. Likely, if the PSU failed dramatically there's a good chance the motherboard is toast too. Possibly even the motherboard took the PSU out with it or visa versa.

Usually there is a bit more to the story than we hear about on the first go around, so if there is it would be good to fill us in on that. Otherwise, I'd check the motherboard CLOSELY for any burnt spots, bulging or leaking capacitors or melted sockets. Alternatively, if this was a modular power supply and you bought a new one, and tried to use it with the same cables that were already connected to everything from the old one, there's no telling what might be damaged now since from model to model the modular cables rarely have the same pinouts.

Jun 24, 2019
I will definitely recheck the mobo for burn spots, as far as I know the pc was kept in normal conditions, the rig itself was a few years old but I fully expected everything to work as no one had touched it it was just sitting. I plugged everything in the first time and everything was fine until I pressed the power button on the case(which I also swapped for a brand new case) then there was a flash and the smell of burnt plastic or something coming from the psu. The psu I just set everything up with today was brand new fresh out of the box I used all new cords for everything except my sata cables and liquid cooler. Thanks for the help so far

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
By all new cords you mean you connected the new PSU with the cables/connectors that came with it right? You didn't swap any cables for any from the old one?

You said "all new cords for everything except my sata cables and liquid cooler ", you mean the SATA data cables or you used old SATA power cables from the old PSU on the new PSU?

If there was a flash and burnt smell and nothing comes to life when you press the power button the PUS is probably dead.