Is my cpu fried?

volanis

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
last night i tried to overclock my cpu. its an amd athlon 2 x2 3.ghz on a biostar BIOSTAR TA785G3HD using the mobos own overclocking utility (toverclocker). as soon as i applied the oc (i cant remember exactly but i think i oc'ed it to 3.2-4) the machine shut off. i restarted and after going through post, it never went to the windows logo(windows xp btw)....the machine just whirred away like normal but just showed a black screen. so i go into bios after restarting and lower ht speed to failsafe default and still it never reaches windows stage.

so then i clear cmos, take out the battery, unplug everything etc etc but still, it wont boot to windows? is this a classicx case of a fried cpu? will it even post with a fried cpu? and if it is fried, is it normal to be covered under warranty for a **** up like oc'ing too much?
thanks in advance for all ur help.

Solution
Most likely your windows files got corupted when you overclocked too high that is the reason we recommend not useing software to OC you will have to reinstall windows. If your system is posting an able to enter bios your CPU is not damaged.
Most likely your windows files got corupted when you overclocked too high that is the reason we recommend not useing software to OC you will have to reinstall windows. If your system is posting an able to enter bios your CPU is not damaged.

Solution

volanis

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005

seems you were right. i just booted from my xp cd and it let me do a repair install. thanks a bunch!