Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Basically title. My situation is this. I have an old Alienware aurora. It’s about 11 years old. It has the original cpu(2.3) and hdd. The computer runs pretty poorly. It can surf the web and stuff maybe play a game or two. But sometimes it will fail to load games like Minecraft for some reason. Won’t even bring them up. I can’t put it in sleep because it won’t wake up and I’m forced to do a hard boot. It takes a very long time to start up. I was thinking about buying a ssd and new hdd and hoping that would speed things up but I don’t want to waste money on a computer that may be trash. The cpu is soldered in I think and I can’t replace it. I don’t want to throw out a good pc either though. Is this pc salvageable? Would the repairs be affordable? Do you think it’s the cpu or the hdd? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Tomshardware.com pros.

May 29, 2019
I’m not 100% sure on what cpu it has, but i think its like an athlon 64 X2 and some Foxconn 590 board. What GPU do you have, how much ram, and what OS are you running.

Chances are it’s not salvageable as the socket is way outa date and the cpu is quite weak.

Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I’m not 100% sure on what cpu it has, but i think its like an athlon 64 X2 and some Foxconn 590 board. What GPU do you have, how much ram, and what OS are you running.

Chances are it’s not salvageable as the socket is way outa date and the cpu is quite weak.
It has a 960 gtx. Started off with a 550 or something. I can’t recall the ram. 16ddr? It’s winsows 10.

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Hi Kgrove,

First I think its best we explicitly know all the details of your system and its current status in terms of compatbiltiy, performance and current software installations.

I would start of by intalling this program: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
It is a free, small program that identifes the specifications of your system. Once installed feel free to post the specs on the overview page.

In most cases, really slow systems to have symptoms you have experiences. Although there are a few things you can do to speed it up.

Knowing your system is very old, I would reccommend you run scans for malware using MalwareBytes, another free program.

Furthermore, carry out antivirus checks, upgrade your system to Win10 for the latest compatiblity if you haven't done so and ensure your laptop cores are parked.

Additionally, run disk, disk defragmenter on your system, and I reccommend ccleaner for a good clean.

One last thing, head over to power settings and ensure your laptop is set to high performance, and ensure that all drivers are up to date (if your card is an Nvidia card).

And if you want to play minecraft, I suggest you update Java.

Kgrove0172

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Hey
I think it’s newer than 11 years, some light research led me to believe it’s a 4th gen i7. If it is, there is upgrade potential there for a pretty good pc
sorry it took so long to respond. It is an intel core i7 960 @ 2.66 g it’s behind this weird Alienware cover. Can’t tell if soldered or not but I read somewhere Alienware use to solder all their processors