[SOLVED] Is my CPU overclocking?

FioGermi

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Hello,

I've had this Ryzen 5 2600 for one year and I just started monitoring it and found that it is sometimes working at 3.9Ghz when it is supposedly be at only 3.4 on stock. Also ran Cinebench and it got to 78c degrees, isn't it a little high? I'm using stock cooler.
Annotation-2020-05-29-233238.jpg

Solution
Thank you for your help,

I was playing this morning using HWMonitor I noticed that the top temperature that my CPU was 63 degrees, but it was again working at 3.9Ghz. Is it normal that benchmark programs like Cinebench pushes the CPU to it limits (temps and clock speed)? Sorry I don't know how this works that much.

Is normal that sometimes it goes over its 3.4Ghz stock speed to 3.9? Should it be something that I'd configure? Or isn't that real OC?

Yes, that's completely fine.

Processors are supposed to work like that.

Stress testing softwares like Cinebench are designed to push the CPU to extremes, to show you what's roughly the best performance you can get. It will either stress the Single Core, or all the Cores of the...

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Hello,

I've had this Ryzen 5 2600 for one year and I just started monitoring it and found that it is sometimes working at 3.9Ghz when it is supposedly be at only 3.4 on stock. Also ran Cinebench and it got to 78c degrees, isn't it a little high? I'm using stock cooler.

The Ryzen 2600 has a base clock of 3.4 and a boost clock of 3.9 Ghz, which you've already pointed.

Some applications make few of the Ryzen cores to go upto the Max boost/ Turbo clock, so that's completely fine and means that your 2600 is performing as it should. I have a Ryzen 2700, and have selected the Balanced Power plan. So my processor sits at 1.5Ghz, and when I'm playing games or Editing Videos, it goes upto 3.4 to 4.0 Ghz. Nothing to worry about, that's perfectly normal.

As for the 78 degree temperature, you said that you noticed it while running Cinebench. What is the temperature when you're not doing anything and the CPU is idle?

Reactions: FioGermi

FioGermi

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
The Ryzen 2600 has a base clock of 3.4 and a boost clock of 3.9 Ghz, which you've already pointed.

Some applications make few of the Ryzen cores to go upto the Max boost/ Turbo clock, so that's completely fine and means that your 2600 is performing as it should. I have a Ryzen 2700, and have selected the Balanced Power plan. So my processor sits at 1.5Ghz, and when I'm playing games or Editing Videos, it goes upto 3.4 to 4.0 Ghz. Nothing to worry about, that's perfectly normal.

As for the 78 degree temperature, you said that you noticed it while running Cinebench. What is the temperature when you're not doing anything and the CPU is idle?
Thank you for your help,

I was playing this morning using HWMonitor I noticed that the top temperature that my CPU was 63 degrees, but it was again working at 3.9Ghz. Is it normal that benchmark programs like Cinebench pushes the CPU to it limits (temps and clock speed)? Sorry I don't know how this works that much.

Is normal that sometimes it goes over its 3.4Ghz stock speed to 3.9? Should it be something that I'd configure? Or isn't that real OC?
Annotation-2020-05-30-120641.jpg

Reactions: akaikisaki

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Thank you for your help,

Yes, that's completely fine.

Processors are supposed to work like that.

Stress testing softwares like Cinebench are designed to push the CPU to extremes, to show you what's roughly the best performance you can get. It will either stress the Single Core, or all the Cores of the CPU, and thus, the temperature will also increase, because the CPU is being pushed to the limits.

Now for HWInfo,
It is showing you the Minimum and Maximum Clock speed and Temperature of your CPU. The maximum numbers which you're seeing like 3991 Mhz on Core#0 doesn't mean that it is running at 3991 constantly. It means that at some point, it reached 3991 for a few or more seconds and then fluctuated to some other speed.

For Example: HWInfo is monitoring your clock speed of Core#0. The core started with 3691 Mhz, and then started fluctuating to 3755, 3700, 3800, 3850, 3991, etc. and then it recorded that the Max speed was 3991 Mhz, although it would've been only for few seconds. The same with the temperature.

Uro8et8.jpg

Above is is my screenshot from HWInfo.

You'll see that the minimum Clock Speed of is 1546 Mhz (because I've selected Balanced Power Plan). And when I played a game, HWInfo recorded different Max speeds for my cores. Once I'll stop an application, the speeds will return to normal.

As for temperature, I'm also using the Stock Cooler. And my Cabinet has 4 Fans, yet I've seen that sometimes the Temperature reaches to 60+ degrees, but during Gaming and not Idle. Your screenshot shows that the Minimum Temperature was 38 degrees, which is good.

Do this, Close all the applications and Open HWInfo, Clear the Values in (View > Clear Min/Max), and then monitor your temperature and Clock speeds. You'll get an idea as to how things are working. Don't worry about the Max values, like I said, they are fluctuating Constantly.

I hope I've not confused you with all this. All this was very confusing for me 2 months back.

Solution