Question Is my CPU overheating in New Build?!

harrydougs

Commendable
Nov 30, 2017
Hi all, Ive just recently build a new rig and was wondering our my CPU temperatures too high at idle load?

Im running an AMD Ryzen 2600x (Non-OC) and as a cooler am using a Cooler Master Masterliquid ML240L RGB AIO.

At idle load the pc seems to be sitting at around 55-60 Celsius, shouldn't it be lower?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

harrydougs

Commendable
Nov 30, 2017
That's pretty warm, what is your ambient temp?

Did you remove the plastic heatsink before installing it?

AIO installed correctly?

I dont think the ambient temperature is anything too high as my room is pretty cool, heatsink is firm and has been tightened down on cpu and plastic was removed at installation. Its just weird that the cpu is that hot!

WildCard999

Titan
I dont think the ambient temperature is anything too high as my room is pretty cool, heatsink is firm and has been tightened down on cpu and plastic was removed at installation. Its just weird that the cpu is that hot!
It is which makes me think that either something was missed during installation or the pump is faulty.

I'm running a 2600 with a EVO 212 Black RGB, ambient 21C/Idle 30C/load under 65C so unless you have a really high ambient temp there's something wrong.

Put your hand on the heatsink/pump, you should feel a vibration coming from it if it's working.

harrydougs

Commendable
Nov 30, 2017
It is which makes me think that either something was missed during installation or the pump is faulty.

I'm running a 2600 with a EVO 212 Black RGB, ambient 21C/Idle 30C/load under 65C so unless you have a really high ambient temp there's something wrong.

Put your hand on the heatsink/pump, you should feel a vibration coming from it if it's working.

It doesnt seem to be making any noise or vibrating, could the pump not be recieving power from my motherboard or incorrectly plugged in?

View: https://imgur.com/a/F9H0zlS

Reactions: MrClassicT

harrydougs

Commendable
Nov 30, 2017
That could indeed be the issue! Try to check the cables that supply power from the motherboard to the pump and see if that was the issue.

I've switched the fan header from CPU_FAN to SYS_FAN 2 and the pump is now vibrating and humming. The CPU header must not have been supplying power to it. Idle temps seem lower now at 30-35-40. Thanks for your help!

harrydougs

Commendable
Nov 30, 2017
I've switched the fan header from CPU_FAN to SYS_FAN 2 and the pump is now vibrating and humming. The CPU header must not have been supplying power to it. Idle temps seem lower now at 30-35-40. Thanks for your help!
Im wondering if there is anyway to bring that temp lower? Also is it normal for only one fan to spin up in idle and then both in load?

icedog

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
Thats very hot try to re apply the thermal paste, and check that you remembered to remove the plastic from the heatsink.
If that didn´t work your cpu cooler is probably broken.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks Im sitting at anywhere between 30-40 C at idle, hope this is a little better!

Still your CPU_FAN header should properly run the fans on it. What motherboard are you using? Its possible the fan curve was not properly set. The problem is SYS_FAN is not connected to the CPU temperature sensor, where CPU_FAN is.

Use AMD Ryzen Master to double check the temps, HWmonitor can be off by quite a bit.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

HWMonitor works correctly with Ryzen for a while now, at least in my experience.

Thats very hot try to re apply the thermal paste, and check that you remembered to remove the plastic from the heatsink.
If that didn´t work your cpu cooler is probably broken.

Its helpful if you read all the posts in a thread before replying with information and suggestions regarding facts of the case that have already been established.