Is my CPU overheating?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1694414
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1694414

I have five fans in my computer case. I have two 120mm fans in the front (one in the average location and one in the Optical Drive area) One 200mm fan blowing into the middle. Another 200mm fan on the top as an exhaust, and a 120mm fan at the rear as an exhaust. M processor is an intel 4790k i7 processor and I am using a stock cooler until I get my h100i replaced (due to leaking) The reason I have to believe that it is overheating is because I notice sometimes (whether this is due to buggy software or not) that the cpu temperature sometimes even reaches 90°C! I am using Corsair Link to get this information btw. Now, sometimes while I am playing different games like gmod the whole computer will freeze and when I reboot it a message will come up saying that I got a bluescreen. I am quite worried about the possibility of permanent damage to my processor or other components and any kind of advice or reassurance is greatly appreciated.

Update: I forgot to mention that I always keep Corsair link running on my second monitor and it is usually stable at 50°C-60°C. The times where it is at 90°C is usually only when I hit the windows key to search something up on the internet and it spikes up than goes down almost immediantly. Still though I dont always remember to keep Corsair Link running where I can see it.

Solution
You said that you maxed out at 90C, well below the point where thermal throttling would kick in so I don't understand why you'd expect immediate damage. Of course high heat and hi voltage does effect the resistance to electrical transmission between circuit traces over time, but since you're not running over long periods of time that should be anon-issue

Again the spikes you are seeing is because Corsair Link is, as per design, not immediately responding to changes in CPU temps. In a closed loop system, you don't want your pumps and whiring up and down to every slight change in loading. As indicated above you should disable or uninstall Corsair Link until the replacement is installed.

JasonL265

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
You are definately overheating, think the max for that cpu is like 74c. Might want to check that your stock cooler is properly seated and that you have thermal paste on that thing. Also are you overclocking?

The processor should protect itself by thermal throttling when temps get too high. W/o the H100i there, I'd disable Corsair link.

If you had an overclock on the CPU, you should restore the BIOS to stock settings until it comes back.

To find out where you are temperature threat wise, use HWiNFO to measure core temps and RoG Real Bench to simulate worse case loads using applications on your PC

D

Deleted member 1694414

OK so. Does this mean I may have permanent damge to my processor? I would like to know how to find out so that I know whether or not Ill be forking out another $450.0

You said that you maxed out at 90C, well below the point where thermal throttling would kick in so I don't understand why you'd expect immediate damage. Of course high heat and hi voltage does effect the resistance to electrical transmission between circuit traces over time, but since you're not running over long periods of time that should be anon-issue

Again the spikes you are seeing is because Corsair Link is, as per design, not immediately responding to changes in CPU temps. In a closed loop system, you don't want your pumps and whiring up and down to every slight change in loading. As indicated above you should disable or uninstall Corsair Link until the replacement is installed.

Solution