Is my CPU overheating?

Ask-a-lot

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I built my computer a couple weeks ago. Its CPU is i7-7700k kaby lake.
When ever I play AAA games like GTA V my processor can hit nearly 80 degrees Celsius while my friends one stays at 46 degrees Celsius.

Its cooled with corsair hydro H60 - and yes I remembered cooling paste.
My graphics card is GTX 1070 and though that it would take most of the workload keeping CPU cool.

My case is Rosewill Cullinan with 4 fans so air circulation shouldn't be a problem either.

Please help! Have I done something wrong or is the kaby lake made to get so hot.

Thanks

Solution

80c isn't too much, and it isn't enough to shorten the life of your CPU. Some CPUs just get hotter than others.
What CPU does your friend have? Unless he has some insane cooling...
I highly doubt your friend's stays at 46c, that's basically unheard of with a modern Intel CPU.

80c is warm, but not overheating. Your CPU will function normally up to 100c. At 100c, it will reduce clockspeed to keep temps from going any higher. At 130c, it will shut down to prevent damage.

Be aware that this only applies at stock speed - if you start adding voltage and overclocking, you'll probably want to lower temps. I'm also not advising that you let it run at 100c, but 80c isn't any real problem.

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

80c isn't too much, and it isn't enough to shorten the life of your CPU. Some CPUs just get hotter than others.
What CPU does your friend have? Unless he has some insane cooling, I doubt it is only 46c during load.

Solution

Ask-a-lot

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

intel i7 4770k is his cpu
and his cooler is the H100, quite a bit better than mine.

thanks for your help :)

TRENDING THREADS