Is my cpu thermal throttling?

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
My i5 8400 has been doing quite bad as of late. It struggles to maintain 60 fps @ 1080p with a rtx 2060. Just wondering if this is a cpu bottle neck on my behalf or if my thermals are bad. With using the stock cooler, i get 70 degree's+ at load, 40 ish at idle. Mind you, I live in Australia, so room temp is quite high in the 30's. I plan to buy a new cooler either today or the next few days. Input would be helpful, thanks.

The 8400's included cooler is indeed known for being a bit subpar/allowing throttling, but, at only 70-75C temps there should not be any such symptoms yet...; failure to maintain 60 fps says something else is wrong. Install/run HWMonitor, and run 5-10 minutes of gaming, and see what clock speeds/core-package temps were logged as peak....

Was this a new build/fresh WIndows install, or did you upgrade GPUs and /or MB/CPU/RAM recently? (you might have gotten a botched driver or WIndows update, etc., and if there was some sort of glitch, then naturally deleting partion/and quickly reinstalling WIndows , correct driver packages, etc., would cure all non-hardware related snafus.

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

I upgraded the gpu about 3 weeks ago and have had the issue since. I took it to a tech shop and they said it was thermals that was problem, yet it still happens.

If it was/is thermal related, HWMonitor will show it (75C is not even close to throttle territory, which really only occurs at 99-100C). I'm more inclined to think residual driver issues from earlier GPU related to the 2060 upgrade, so, perhaps completely removing Nvidia software and drivers, deleting GPU in device mngr, allowing it to be redetected/reinstalled MIGHT help, but, certainly a 'nuke and pave' (delete OS partition, reinstall OS/drivers fresh!) will also cure it for sure, barring any actual hardware issue existing(which, given the timing, I'm not inclined to think currently).

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Is there any way that i can do a fresh install of windows without losing data? I have been advised to do it, just worried to lose all my stuff.

There is an option to reinstall over itself, keeping personal data/files, etc., but, it is not really the preferred method, because if it does not work, you are in the same boat, but, sure, try it....

It would be easier to simply back up what data you wish to keep.

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Well, I did play some games, and i was wrong, i get around 80-90 frames on games, BUT a lot of dips below to 60-50 frames. I think its really just too slow, will buy a 8700.