Question Is my CPU throttled because of a bad temperature sensor?

Sep 7, 2019
My PC:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8350 35 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MSI 970A-G45 (MS-7693) (CPU 1) 38 °C
Graphics
S211HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
2243W (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 35 °C
ForceWare version: 431.60
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
223GB ADATA SP550 ATA Device (SSD) 42 °C
298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKX-001CA0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Sound Blaster Audigy Fx

Ok So I grabbed this build information from Speccy so I'd imagine you would have to take those temperature values with a grain of salt (wasn't doing anything other than some internet research on this issue.). Anyway, If I game or anything of that nature the CPU temp tends to stick around 45-55C (according to Speccy, CoreTemp, and Argus monitor) until out of nowhere or for no specific reason that I can find It shoots up to an incredibly inaccurate temperature of around 205 C for around 10 seconds until it re stabilizes back to around 50 C less than 20- 30 seconds after spiking. I've recently check cooler seating (right after it spiked I disassembled the pc) and the cooler wasn't too hot to touch. The arctic silver paste was fine but since I took it apart I replaced the paste again. after everything was together I dusted all the filters and blew compressed air into the case to clean everything. Still have the same issues. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I stressed the CPU and kept an eye on temps. The moment the CPU report 55 degrees C is when it instantly reports 206 C on Speccy and 255 C on HWiNFO64.

HWiNFO64:
4655ZRM.png

Speccy:
6xlsLPv.png

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019
I can verify that is what is causing the fps drop. I initially noticed the lag spikes, then opened temp monitors and performance monitors. When the temps spiked to 206C (false reading im sure) That was the exact moment I experienced the lag. When we stressed the CPU to 100% and the temp spiked to 206C it was then that it throttled down to 35% instead of 100%. Also I replaced the thermal paste yesterday when I first noticed these issues. I did sort of avoid the spikes as of late by opening the side of my case and increasing the fan speed. I ran the game again and it seems that it never got to 55C so therefore it never got the wrong temp and throttled. I reverted my bios settings as well just in case I had changed something back in the day poking around... No fix there though. I did however find another person with very nearly the same problem as me in this forum: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=180464.0

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019
I am starting to draw the same conclusion. I've had most of this set up for like a decade or so. I was secretly hoping that there was sort of way I could have perhaps disabled the motherboard sensor and relied soley on the CPU protection to shut it off when it actually overheats, but it seems that is not possible or easily achievable. There are definitely some good candidates for motherboards for me to chose from so ill probably go that route. That or build something new utilizing ddr4 memory or something. who knows. I kind of want to go the route of intel instead of AMD anyway. Thanks for your help folks. Like I said earlier I have sort of bypassed the issue by not allowing the CPU motherboard temp to reach 55C, therefore not throttling, so if you are ever in the same boat I recommend that... whether it be with a new cooler or some other sort of method. I should mention the cooler I'm using is a NOCTUA NH-D15, which is just a very large air cooler so there is room for improvement with a liquid cooler.

Latest posts