[SOLVED] Is my cpu too hot and can it damage it over long term

Feb 17, 2020
Hello my cpu is about 70 degrees celsius at idle and i think that is too hot when i have heard they should be around 45 degrees celsius at idle.
I am concerned it is too hot and if it can affect it over long term of using it.
I have a ryzen 7 3800x whith the stock cooler that comes whith it. I have two 140mm fans in the front sucking air in and two 140mm and one 120mm sucking air out.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
No i didnt but when we mounted it we took the cooler of not the whole cooler but half of it because we didnt mount it right dont know if thats got something to do with it but im gonna try taking the cooler of and putting new thermal paste on. Of cause wiping the old of before.

If you put the cooler on the cpu then removed it again then you must reapply the thermal paste. This is the likely cause.

I have a 3800x and the stock cooler would be in the 40's at idle low to mid 70's gaming. You don't need an AIO water cooler. A good air cooler will work. I replaced the stock cooler with a Corsair H60 and that keeps it 30's-40's idle and 70-72C when under load.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
It is not too hot but not ok when in idle. 45°C in idle is ok.
It is not going to damage your CPU on long term but you PC performance will not be soo good.
If you want better temperature that means performance then you should go for 240 mm liquid cooling. That would be great.

Reactions: TejasAnand
Feb 17, 2020
It is not going to damage your CPU on long term but you PC performance will not be soo good.
If you want better temperature that means performance then you should go for 240 mm liquid cooling. That would be great.
Thanks for the reply i have actually been looking at a 120mm liquid cooler but i dont if thats good enough and if it can keep it cold enough.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't panic - everything is NORMAL.
The behavior you're seeing from your Ryzen 3800X is perfectly NORMAL.
Ryzen 3000 is very 'bursty' in nature; this leads it to have higher idle temps than the competition - at the same time though, it yields lower full load temps than the competitor.

AMD designed the the stock cooler to be 'just enough', and nothing more. A new cooler would give you lower load temps, but wouldn't change the idle ones very much at all - especially if you live in a warmer climate.
The reason being goes back to the bursty nature of the cpu; it boosts up and down often enough to where the fans and pump - if using an AIO - wouldn't be able to keep up.

You're welcome to get a new cooler if you wish, just don't treat it like an Intel cpu and 'fix' the core frequencies... you would then hinder performance thus wasting the extra money spent on the 3800X.

Feb 17, 2020
Oops! I misread the 1st post.
70C idle is bad - 45C is fine though.
I agree that it's probably a bad cooler mount.

@Aksel hegnet
You didn't wipe off the pre-applied thermal paste, did you?

No i didnt but when we mounted it we took the cooler of not the whole cooler but half of it because we didnt mount it right dont know if thats got something to do with it but im gonna try taking the cooler of and putting new thermal paste on. Of cause wiping the old of before.

If you put the cooler on the cpu then removed it again then you must reapply the thermal paste. This is the likely cause.

I have a 3800x and the stock cooler would be in the 40's at idle low to mid 70's gaming. You don't need an AIO water cooler. A good air cooler will work. I replaced the stock cooler with a Corsair H60 and that keeps it 30's-40's idle and 70-72C when under load.

Solution