pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
NO, thats not good at all....
You could get a aftermarket cooler if you want to keep the temps down....but you could just remove the heatsink and reinstall it with some artic silver 5.....see how that goes.
you will want to clean it first but a application of AS5 should help

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
my friend said his runs usually about 54 c (with a 2500+ barton as well) to be honest you don't need to buy a new one. clear the dust off and if you really want you can add some fancy thermal grease. It is very cheap and effective. Compare the temps not using (or improperly using) thermal grease to properly using it. 54 c is 130 degrees fahrenheit, so it is still way above warm. It probably isn't hot enough to do damage, but could be running too hot to outlive it's life expectancy.

[friend has had his 2500+ in the same condition for multiple years at a higher temp]

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I have a amd xp 2500 barton and was checking its temp with the mb utility and it reads 52c when idle, is that good?

turn your computer off, clean all the dust and shitt out of the HSF carefully, you could add some AS5...it should lower temps a little, you could get an aftermarket cooler that would bring the temps way down but the good ones are like 50-60bucks...if thats what you want, also how many case fans do you have and what size? 80mm/92mm/120mm?

let me know

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Not really, hate to see when your at load with that config.

Barton cores are generally a pain to keep cool and I have always uses aftermarket HSF to keep them from buring out. What kind of HSF are you using?