Is my CPU too slow for 9800 pro?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800 pro?

If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<65gpc.83910$FH5.2025500@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
> Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800 pro?
>
> If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?

I got a P4 2Ghz and I find my self CPU limited... but ..one pro..maybe
the BASE frame rate in certain games hasn't gone up... but now I can
fully use High Levels of Anti Aliasing without going under my Base
Rate.

Wow....

And 2x anti aliasing on an ati card looks GREAT! 4x even better!

I plan to upgrade my CPU soon... that should give me a higher Base
Framerate!

Your P4 1,5 Ghz probably only has 256kb cache and that ... will limit
you..severely so when you wish to upgrade your cpu you probably have
to upgrade your motherboard and memory to... ..the price of going
forward!

But your 9800 Pro will cary one... since it's DX9 and damn fast at
it... it will offer even higher performance on your new motherboard...

Oh and they make great cards to watch television on...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:65gpc.83910$FH5.2025500@news20.bellglobal.com...
> My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
> Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800
pro?
>
> If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?

Use "DriverCleaner 3", search for it on google. Your P4 1,5 performs about
the same as P3 1,2GHz. So that's not fast at all by todays standards. Get
something like 2 or 2,4GHz P4 for your mobo. It should speed up things a
lot.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I discuss wrote:
> My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based
> on Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI
> 9800 pro?

I don't believe my 9800pro runs at optimum and thats on a XP2100+. However
it certainly is fast "enough". I am sure you will find the same thing.
The 9800por is awesome and you won't regret it. It would carry over to your
next cpu/mb upgrade I would think.


>
> If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?


Detonator Destroyer.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Your CPU AND memory speeds will hold you back. A 9800 would be a waste.

--
DaveW



"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:65gpc.83910$FH5.2025500@news20.bellglobal.com...
> My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
> Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800
pro?
>
> If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

How come? tell me the details.



DaveW wrote:
> Your CPU AND memory speeds will hold you back. A 9800 would be a waste.
>
 

Andrew

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
2,439
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:25 -0400, I discuss
<lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How come? tell me the details.

A slow CPU and memory won't have the processing power to give a 9800
Pro enough data to make work to its potential, you don't need details,
its just common sense.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:25 -0400, I discuss
> <lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How come? tell me the details.
>
> A slow CPU and memory won't have the processing power to give a 9800
> Pro enough data to make work to its potential, you don't need details,
> its just common sense.

hardly a waste. Althogh the 9800PRO won't run at it's "potential" it will
still be a great card. It will not die a horrible death because it is
being driven by a 1.5G CPU ( i forget exactly what the OP has). *and* it
will carry over to your next upgrade.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Andrew wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:25 -0400, I discuss
> <lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>How come? tell me the details.
>
>
> A slow CPU and memory won't have the processing power to give a 9800
> Pro enough data to make work to its potential, you don't need details,
> its just common sense.

The card will be a great improvement over his current card and will
allow him to use features in games that his current GeForce2 MX400 clone
will not allow. His current computer will not push the card to its
limit but there are probably very few computers reasonably priced that
can. It will also allow him to later upgrade the computer without
having to replace the video card immediately to see the improvement.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

>
> The card will be a great improvement over his current card and will
> allow him to use features in games that his current GeForce2 MX400 clone
> will not allow. His current computer will not push the card to its
> limit but there are probably very few computers reasonably priced that
> can. It will also allow him to later upgrade the computer without
> having to replace the video card immediately to see the improvement.

True, watching DivX is great on Ati cards. If the player supports the
ati shader thingy atleast. It truly cuts processor time quite lower!
And that only because the pixelshaders are used to help a bit with
decoding and so on...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I have a Pent 4, 2.53 GHz, 768 MB, and just made three "clean installs"
utilizing Win ME sys. I keep getting "There is not enough memory to run
this program", since I upgraded to the Radeon 9800Pro. Never ever had
anything like this... Haven't tested the card yet, as I have been five days
doing re-installs. So for the novice, like me, wondering how bad would it
be with a system of less power, here is part of an answer.
"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:65gpc.83910$FH5.2025500@news20.bellglobal.com...
> My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
> Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800
pro?
>
> If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

That depends on when you upgrade and how much speed you demand. That's far
too broad a statement to be pertinent.

Mike

"cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message
news:c871ll$a7s$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Andrew wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:25 -0400, I discuss
> > <lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> How come? tell me the details.
> >
> > A slow CPU and memory won't have the processing power to give a 9800
> > Pro enough data to make work to its potential, you don't need details,
> > its just common sense.
>
> hardly a waste. Althogh the 9800PRO won't run at it's "potential" it will
> still be a great card. It will not die a horrible death because it is
> being driven by a 1.5G CPU ( i forget exactly what the OP has). *and* it
> will carry over to your next upgrade.
>
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 23:25:53 -0400, "I discuss"
<lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
>Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800 pro?
>
>If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?

A $75 Ti4200 would be too more power over your P4 1.5. YOu can get a
new $200 ATI9800 pro if you plan to upgrade to a modern CPU.
Currently the AMD64 is the fastest on the market.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:58:00 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>
>"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:65gpc.83910$FH5.2025500@news20.bellglobal.com...
>> My CPU is Pentium4 1.5G, and I have a Asus V7100 Graphic card (based on
>> Nvidia GF2 MX400 chip), is my CPU too slow if I upgrade to an ATI 9800
>pro?
>>
>> If I do upgrade, how do I clean out the Nvidia driver in the system?
>
>Use "DriverCleaner 3", search for it on google. Your P4 1,5 performs about
>the same as P3 1,2GHz. So that's not fast at all by todays standards. Get
>something like 2 or 2,4GHz P4 for your mobo. It should speed up things a
>lot.

I've clocked a friends P4 1.6 to my P3-900Mhz... they were about the
same.


- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

If the GPU (Video card) is waiting for game data to get to it... then
its a waste and you gain nothing. If your GPU is too slow, then your
game will studder, lose frames.

Parts that effect gaming performance:
1 - Video card
2 - CPU (AMD64 or P4 3.0+)
3 - memory speed (DDR) and amount (512>1GB)
4 - Hard drive
5 - system board
6 - OS and programs that load up (AIM, MSM, spyware etc)




On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:25 -0400, I discuss
<lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How come? tell me the details.
>
>
>
>DaveW wrote:
>> Your CPU AND memory speeds will hold you back. A 9800 would be a waste.
>>
 

jlc

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
267
0
18,780
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"David B. Workman Sr." <davidworkman@access4less.net> wrote in message
news:10aiohodnp0a50b@corp.supernews.com...
> I have a Pent 4, 2.53 GHz, 768 MB, and just made three "clean installs"
> utilizing Win ME sys. I keep getting "There is not enough memory to run
> this program", since I upgraded to the Radeon 9800Pro. Never ever had
> anything like this... Haven't tested the card yet, as I have been five
days
> doing re-installs. So for the novice, like me, wondering how bad would it
> be with a system of less power, here is part of an answer.

I have no idea what is wrong with your system, but the 9800Pro is most
likely not it. Are you saying that anyone with a 2.5 Ghz CPU can't run a
9800Pro? That's just plan dumb. Your system is wack, not the card. Just
reading the words Win Me tells me a lot about your system. Why not try a
real OS and get XP? Me is a horrible mistake that MS made and quickly moved
past. What kind of power supply do you have? The 9800Pro needs some juice to
run. Also have you installed your MB drivers in all your "clean installs"
BTW I'm trying to figure out what you mean by that statement anyway. The
only real way to do a clean install is to start from scratch and re-install
your OS.
Anyway for the OP, get yourself a 9800Pro. Good investment for at lest
another year. When you have the cash then you can upgrade the rest and
you'll have a kick ass card vid to play with! JLC
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> Mike
>
> "cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message
> news:c871ll$a7s$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Andrew wrote:
>>> On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:25 -0400, I discuss
>>> <lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> How come? tell me the details.
>>>
>>> A slow CPU and memory won't have the processing power to give a 9800
>>> Pro enough data to make work to its potential, you don't need
>>> details, its just common sense.
>>
>> hardly a waste. Althogh the 9800PRO won't run at it's "potential"
>> it will still be a great card. It will not die a horrible death
>> because it is being driven by a 1.5G CPU ( i forget exactly what the
>> OP has). *and* it will carry over to your next upgrade

..Mike P wrote:
> That depends on when you upgrade and how much speed you demand.
> That's far too broad a statement to be pertinent.
>


Yes, I have made the assumption that the OP wants an increase in frame rate
therefore assuming the OP is wanting to find the best way to slowly upgrade
his PC. The 9800PRO is a great card at great value. It will last a couple
of years like the Ti4200 did/has. There are plenty of people around who
will stick with a Ti4200 till half life 2 and doom3 finally get here. The
problem with buying one now is that their is not really that much life left
in it for the later games that are coming out now. A CPU upgrade is
imminent anyway but could be held off for a couple of months if the games he
is playing now play fine enough. Better than buying a lower card and
finding out he is in need of a CPU *AND* GPU upgrade in 3 months. If the OP
does not want to play games then I am not sure why he is asking about a
9800PRO.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> >I was trying to be optimistic, but damn!!! P3 900??!! Now he (OP) does
> >really need to upgrade that cpu.
>
> PS: When I refer to "My P3-900Mhz" - I mean from about 18 months ago
> before I upgraded to an AMD1800 (today a 2500) CPU.


I was not referring to your system, (i knew it would be older specs) but to
your suggestion that a P4 1,5GHz performs more like a P3 900MHz! So now he
really needed a new cpu and so forth.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:14:44 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>> >I was trying to be optimistic, but damn!!! P3 900??!! Now he (OP) does
>> >really need to upgrade that cpu.
>>
>> PS: When I refer to "My P3-900Mhz" - I mean from about 18 months ago
>> before I upgraded to an AMD1800 (today a 2500) CPU.
>
>
>I was not referring to your system, (i knew it would be older specs) but to
>your suggestion that a P4 1,5GHz performs more like a P3 900MHz! So now he
>really needed a new cpu and so forth.


heheh okay... but yep. And take note that he had EXPENSIVE 512mb of
RD-RAM! He blew $500 extra on RAM... when I could have built him an
AMD 1.2 system for that much less in memory alone. He blew up the
mobo so I had to fix it.

But hey.... we see this before... look at the Celeron 2.6s that are
like P3-1000s (Yet celeron systems cost more than AMD-32 systems) or
the 9600se is SLOWER than a 9000/9200PRO.... or the 5600xt is WAY
slower than a Ti4200 and maybe slower than a GF3....


- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.