[SOLVED] Is my CPU too weak to run Cyberpunk 2077?

Nitro3000

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
Hi guys,

I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077 on the following setup:

NIVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB
16 gb ddr4 RAM
1080p 144hz MSI monitor with freesync enabled
256 gb SSD (where cp2077 is installed on)
PSU WPM700 Bronze 700w
INTEL i7-7700K @ 4.20 Ghz

I have checked various benchmarks of the 2070s on CP2077 and they show an average of 70-80 FPS on medium settings. However, I cannot seem to get above 40-50 FPS on low settings. The game drops below 40 in wide open area's where there is plenty to render. My drivers are up-to-date. In-game, I have all graphic settings on low/lowest possibilty and raytracing obviously disabled. Furthermore, I am playing on 1080p.

I am beginning to think that my processor is too old/weak to run CP2077, could this be true? If not, what are other reasons for this to happen? The RTX 2070s should be well capable of running this game.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Hi guys,

It turned out to be my RAM stick. My PC crashed at the beginning of this year and would not boot up at all anymore (not even to the bios screen). I fixed that by removing my RAM from slot 1/4 and put it in the one next to it (2/4). This caused dual channel to be disabled, since my RAM were in slots 2/4 and 3/4 now (on a ASUS Z270P).
Anyways, switching the RAM stick back to slot 1/4 turned dual channel back on and my FPS has improved dramatically since.

Thanks for all answers and happy gaming!

Nitro3000

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
As you turn up settings or resolution, the CPU matters less (to a point, obviously)... So yes, it 'matters' when comparing 1080p with 1440p numbers.
I just checked the benchmarks of the i7 4790 which Cyberpunk claims is enough to run the game ultra settings 1080p. When I compare the i7 4790 to my own i7-7700k it seems my processor is significantly better. So maybe it is not a processor issue?

I am out of ideas, but it sure does suck to play this game on an average of 50 fps..

here are some recommended settings w/ a lesser GPU (GTX1060) and CPU (7700-non-k)...; your FPS should be much better than shown, but, the settings might be a starting point for experimentation...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGC8I1dWMWM

(If your mainboard is a Z170/Z270, and you have some decent cooling, you might be able to squeeze out 200-500 more MHz all core turbo speeds via Intel's XTU settings; my own 7700K hits 4700 MHz all core at about ~68-70C gaming loads...; if your frame rates increase noticeably, you know your CPU was/is holding you back.)

Nitro3000

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
here are some recommended settings w/ a lesser GPU (GTX1060) and CPU (7700-non-k)...; your FPS should be much better than shown, but, the settings might be a starting point for experimentation...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGC8I1dWMWM

(If your mainboard is a Z170/Z270, and you have some decent cooling, you might be able to squeeze out 200-500 more MHz all core turbo speeds via Intel's XTU settings; my own 7700K hits 4700 MHz all core at about ~68-70C gaming loads...; if your frame rates increase noticeably, you know your CPU was/is holding you back.)

I just overcloaked my I7 7700k through the bios. In MSI Afterburner, it now shows 4700 mhz for each core. I am assuming therefore that it worked.

However, in-game there is no noticable difference at all unfortunately. Still an average of 50-60 fps with drops to 30-40 very regularly and more often so in crowdy places (downtown Night City for example). Also the game froze twice since I OC'd my CPU, which forced me to restart my PC. Temperatures however of the CPU remain below 85 degrees, so I am not sure it is linked with one another.

Anyone has some other ideas that I can try? Would be greatly appreciated.

I just overcloaked my I7 7700k through the bios. In MSI Afterburner, it now shows 4700 mhz for each core. I am assuming therefore that it worked.

However, in-game there is no noticable difference at all unfortunately. Still an average of 50-60 fps with drops to 30-40 very regularly and more often so in crowdy places (downtown Night City for example). Also the game froze twice since I OC'd my CPU, which forced me to restart my PC. Temperatures however of the CPU remain below 85 degrees, so I am not sure it is linked with one another.

Anyone has some other ideas that I can try? Would be greatly appreciated.
This is from the TH review of the game:
"We'd also recommend at least a 6-core/12-thread CPU, SSD storage, and 16GB of RAM (possibly 32GB), particularly if you have a reasonably high-end GPU. Based on what we saw during testing, older generation 4-core CPUs are going to have a difficult time hitting 60 fps at higher quality settings, pretty much regardless of how fast your GPU is."

Nitro3000

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
Hi guys,

It turned out to be my RAM stick. My PC crashed at the beginning of this year and would not boot up at all anymore (not even to the bios screen). I fixed that by removing my RAM from slot 1/4 and put it in the one next to it (2/4). This caused dual channel to be disabled, since my RAM were in slots 2/4 and 3/4 now (on a ASUS Z270P).
Anyways, switching the RAM stick back to slot 1/4 turned dual channel back on and my FPS has improved dramatically since.

Thanks for all answers and happy gaming!

Solution