Question Is my CPU Too Weak?

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
Here are the PC parts I currently have assembled into a build.

Specs:

CPU:
AMD Athlon X4 950 3.5GHz - Socket AM4

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H

Graphics Card: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 Video Card (RTX 3060 Gaming X 12G)

Do you think the current CPU is too weak for this system. If so, why?

Here are the PC parts I currently have assembled into a build.

Specs:

CPU:
AMD Athlon X4 950 3.5GHz - Socket AM4

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H

Graphics Card: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 Video Card (RTX 3060 Gaming X 12G)

Do you think the current CPU is too weak for this system. If so, why?
It's definitely a mis-match as the GPU is way more powerful than your CPU. But whether it's too weak depends on what you do with it. Mainly: what sort of gaming are you interested in?

E-sports type gaming will suffer the most as you won't get the really high FPS at 4K resolution that seems to make them worthwhile. But it could still run many triple-A type games at lower resolutions (1080p or 720p) well enough since they still play very well even at lower FPS as it's up to the GPU to renders the lush graphical worlds those games are good for.

Luckily, CPU's are going to be cheaper than that GPU so it's probably a good idea to look at that if you can. If you're doing it you might as well get something that's a good match for it so I'd suggest going for a 5600X. Your board will need to be updated to BIOS rev. F54 first.

Last edited:
Reactions: incmachine