Is my current PC worth upgrading?

Apr 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about a new PC to play some of the more current games on the market. My current PC is almost 10 years old now but it has served me well and still works great. I'm just wondering if anything is worth salvaging of if I should start fresh.

Gateway FX Series FX6831-03
Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz - Socket LGA1366
ATI Radeon HD 5850
16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz PC3-10600
Motherboard:
Processor Socket LGA1156 Socket
Chipset Type Intel H57 Express
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
256 GB SSD

Thanks!
-Aaron

Since you will need a need new video card regardless of a new build or upgrading your current PC. I'd replace that first. Then see if you are happy with the resulting gaming experience. If you are. Then you can keep using your system and have saved some money. If you are not then you can replace the rest of it. Spending the same amount you would have in either case.

The CPU is getting a bit old but can be decent. The only way to find out if it is still good enough for you is to pair it with a new GPU.

If you did go new. You'd need at least a new GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard and PSU. Since I find no mention of your PSU supporting C6/C7 power states. Although I'd replace the case as well. Possibly the SSD depending on age and wear.

As for the GPU. It depends on the resolution you'll be playing at. Generally the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB is a good all around GPU.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not really. The SSD should be fine to reuse, but everything else at this point is getting a bit long in the tooth.

The 16GB DDR3 still holds some decent value... but if you move to a modern platform, you'll need DDR4.

Whether it's worth carving out the SSD (for you to use) and the DDR3 (to sell separately) is a tough call. You might net a better return selling the entire rig.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd keep only the SSD and sell the rest. If your good for building it yourself and don't mind overclocking the CPU then Ryzen is a good choice. If you'd rather plug and play then I'd go for the 8400/B360 MB. For a GPU I'd probably go with the 1050 ti or better depending on budget.