[SOLVED] Is my current PSU enough for a RTX 2080Ti?

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
I was thinking of upgrading my current GPU to an ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080Ti, but I was wondering if my Cooler Master MWE 650 Gold would be enough for the system, or if I would need to upgrade the PSU.

My current build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with a Corsair H60 AIO Liquid Cooler
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 Super
HDD: 2TB FireCuda
SSD: 512GB ADATA M.2 SSD

If I were to upgrade my GPU, would there be any issues down the line? I plan to keep all components stock (no overclocking).

Solution
It's a VERY mediocre unit, and I'd be skeptical of trying to use it long term with a 2080 ti, but it is probably marginally ok for a short period of time. I'd plan to replace sooner rather than later. It uses mediocre capacitors and is not likely to last long under loads that are likely to take it much closer to it's actual maximum capacity than what you're using now.

Personally I'd never recommend anybody to buy that, or any other Cooler Master power supply, but since you already have it you can probably get by with it for a short time. In truth, I believe that anybody who can afford a 2080 TI can afford to also get a power supply of equivalent quality and reliability, but right now the market is also kind of whacked out...
It's a VERY mediocre unit, and I'd be skeptical of trying to use it long term with a 2080 ti, but it is probably marginally ok for a short period of time. I'd plan to replace sooner rather than later. It uses mediocre capacitors and is not likely to last long under loads that are likely to take it much closer to it's actual maximum capacity than what you're using now.

Personally I'd never recommend anybody to buy that, or any other Cooler Master power supply, but since you already have it you can probably get by with it for a short time. In truth, I believe that anybody who can afford a 2080 TI can afford to also get a power supply of equivalent quality and reliability, but right now the market is also kind of whacked out.

Reactions: Pickachu and King_V
Solution
Not even Seasonic or Delta based V-Platinum ?

But i agree that this PSUs is strictly average, if you have a budget for a new PSU i'd recommend to replace it, if not, well, it should work just fine.
No, not even those, because in every case for every region I've seen, you can always find something as good or better than those units, for less money. So if that is your ONLY choice of a decent unit because nothing else is available to you, sure, the V-series models are ok, but generally speaking you can get something from Seasonic, EVGA, Antec, Super Flower or Corsair, in most regions, for less than one of those models, for less money.

Reactions: Pickachu

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
No, not even those, because in every case for every region I've seen, you can always find something as good or better than those units, for less money.
It was on sale for 140 pounds just a few days ago in UK, Antec HCP Platinum on the same platform is still 40 pounds cheaper than Seasonic PRIME Platinum right now. Availability is very <Mod Edit> right now in all regions so i don't know how it was priced before all that.
Regardless, you're not recommending a PSU just because you haven't seen it being sold for a good price ? What if it goes on sale ? That's kinda weird logic, don't you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. In six years on this forum, I've never seen a sale that dropped the price of a Cooler Master V series platinum unit to below the price of what I could get something equally reliable and efficient from Seasonic, Antec, Corsair or EVGA for. But, in a case where it IS cheaper, then obviously it's a better choice. IF I see that when I am looking up prices by region for a given member, then I'd agree, and likely recommend that unit. Maybe.

The other side of this is the fact that I have had extremely poor customer service after the sale from Cooler Master on a number of occasions in the distant past. I tend to not rate or recommend companies highly that can't make the RMA process painless when something goes wrong with one of their products. Obviously, not everybody has the same experiences, and they vary from case to case, but three or four similar experiences from the same company is enough for me to tend to gravitate away from that company and I know of a lot of other members of this forum who've had similar experiences. Experiences not repeated when dealing with some of the other companies in similar situations.

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
What PSU would you recommend for my system (in its current state), as of now I'm holding back on upgrading my GPU because the new line of RTX 30' series is expected to come out this year, and by then I would probably have money to upgrade my PSU.

I'm looking to get a modular PSU so I can better manage the cables and hopefully improve airflow.

Yeah, even without the current uncertain conditions, under normal situations, it's never really a good idea to look at hardware if cost is a factor until you're ready to pull the trigger because sales and market conditions change the prices daily, weekly and monthly, to various and sometimes tremendous degrees.

When you are ready to pull the trigger, THEN look at what is the best deal going at the time.

Also, it will be rather hard for us to tell you what is a good deal, because there is no options for any of the Asian regions on PC Partpicker, and things are just not the same in that market as they are elsewhere. Particularly in a place like Shanghai. We'd need to see a list of what is available to you and at what prices, from local shops, or a link to a specific site where you are able to and willing to purchase online.