[SOLVED] Is my CX500 dying? Random crashes and restarts

Andrei_2

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
So, recently I started to get some random crashes and system restarts. The crashes are not Windows crashes I think, as what was on the scream remains but frozen.
The first time this happened, when I restarted it froze on the Windows boot screen, with a strange artifact on the loading icon. Its always only on the loading icon. This is a picture of it: View: https://imgur.com/a/mHeryph

Also, the RGB of my cooler (Wraith Prism) resets from the color I set to the stock rainbow.

Today instead of a crash it was a restart, and when I turned on the computer it kept restarting and the PSU making popping noises every 2 seconds (the normal popping noise that it makes when you turn it on).

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700X
RTX 2060
32GB RAM
Corsair CX500

D

Deleted member 1560910

The Corsair you have is a low end bronze so its not giving you the efficiency it once did. My advice is dont cheap on a power supply

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
D

Deleted member 1560910

So theres no chance its something else? Not a GPU problem? Anything else I should troubleshoot? Thanks for the reply.
There is always a chance when does the restart happen? In game ? is your plug in wall reliable ? Try the process of eliminating. if you think its the gpu try another gpu. Honestly a PSU is always a good investment. I like sea sonic

Andrei_2

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
For future upgrades, certainly not too much. 550 is just about perfect for your current build. I have an RM650 with an R5 3600 and 2070S. RMx PSUs are excellent. TXM and RM are one step down and CX is one more step down. CXM is even further down

What do you think of the EVGA 650W? Or the CX650?

There is always a chance when does the restart happen? In game ? is your plug in wall reliable ? Try the process of eliminating. if you think its the gpu try another gpu. Honestly a PSU is always a good investment. I like sea sonic

Happened twice. One when I was multi-tasking with YouTube and playing Clash Royale on BlueStacks. Second one was today when I was playing Red Dead Redemption 2.

Also might or not be related, it started after I installed 3 new 120mm fans. But as it isn't often I can't tell if thats the reason.

"is your plug in wall reliable" not really sure.

The Corsair you have is a low end bronze so its not giving you the efficiency it once did.

Not giving the efficiency? And that would somehow cause this? That doesn't even make sense.

Efficiency is simply the ratio of AC in, over DC out. Aged PSUs don't "lose efficiency".

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700X
RTX 2060
32GB RAM
Corsair CX500

While I'm not convinced that the problem is caused by the PSU, I do think it's odd that you have a brand new CPU and GPU, that are fairly high end, and a low end PSU that well over five years old.

Andrei_2

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
Not giving the efficiency? And that would somehow cause this? That doesn't even make sense.

Efficiency is simply the ratio of AC in, over DC out. Aged PSUs don't "lose efficiency".

While I'm not convinced that the problem is caused by the PSU, I do think it's odd that you have a brand new CPU and GPU, that are fairly high end, and a low end PSU that well over five years old.

What else could be?

And the PSU is from a previous build, I've been making some upgrades since and researching if it would "hold it", was only planning on upgrading the PSU when the output was really above the capacity.

D

Deleted member 1560910

They dont run like they used to

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
PSU's max power output degrades over time.
it's worse if the PSU was utilized close to it's limits during it's lifetime, and/or exposed to high internal temperature

by choosing a beefier capacity, you give more headroom to the PSU.
by choosing a high efficiency PSU, it gives more current and produce less heat, so less wear and tear.
that's why high capacity, high efficiency units also have the longest warranty. usually 7-10 years

for a gaming PC with GPUS >250$, prefer to choose a gold rated unit around 800W
it's not so expensive, i found seasonic focus GM gold units 750 for 150$CAD on newegg.ca a few days ago. tha'ts like 100usd.

search this list for any A-tier PSU with in interesting price you could find :