Question Is My Desktop Computer Giving Up One Me?

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Hello Guys,

I built a desktop computer in 2018 with these specs, Ryzen 3 1600, 16GB RAM, and 250GB SSD Boot Drive, With 1TB files and games drive.

I installed two games on Steam and my PC is moving at an absolute snails pace, I cannot multitask because the cursor is so slow and I cannot do anything about it.

I checked all the hardware is fine and when playing light games, I also suffer from slowness now which never happened before?

Is the PC conking out? Please guys, I need your help!

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
check in Task Manager what is using up the system resources.
usually this type of issue is either malfunctioning software or malware running.
I decided to do a format because the PC became really sluggish, it hasn’t really made much of a difference, I think the PC is slowing down, it’s 4 years old. Any advice?

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
age alone wouldn't lead to system slow down.
if it isn't software causing the issue(s) then it would be a particular hardware component.

run some CHKDSK scans to test disks.
and some MEMTEST scans to test memory.
Any idea what that component can potentially be? I use SSD and their are all good, it was my CPU hogging 90 something percent of resources, any advise please?

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
if that is no longer the issue then what do you mean by "slowing down"?

and you have already run both CHKDSK & MEMTEST scans?

how have you determined this?
know it was the CPU because before format it reached over 90 percent , after format it was still 80 and over, my SSD is healthy because I have monitoring software on it.
I mean how much more longer can my computer last? I am beginning to feel it will crash soon, my USB 3 ports don’t work too?

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
but you still don't explain what you mean by "slowing down".

and you still don't mention if you've actually run the memory tests.

your computer aging wouldn't lead to your CPU having high utilization %.
what processes or applications in Task manager are showing the high usage?
All I mean by slowing down is my cursor almost completely froze, when trying to multitask. I haven’t run memory test yet Sir, it was Steam that lead to really high usage rates, in particular installing a game, is that normal?

it was Steam that lead to really high usage rates, in particular installing a game, is that normal?
that's fairly normal.
but as soon as the installation is complete the usage should drop back.
my cursor almost completely froze, when trying to multitask.
i really wouldn't expect that CPU to be able to handle many demanding apps at once but if it is an issue that has just arisen recently it could be either memory or motherboard issue.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
that's fairly normal.
but as soon as the installation is complete the usage should drop back.

i really wouldn't expect that CPU to be able to handle many demanding apps at once but if it is an issue that has just arisen recently it could be either memory or motherboard issue.
It literally up until now was so fast and multitasked through everything, only in just few days I start my computer and I notice it takes a little while to load, my game also glitched and froze at least twice.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I need your help please, I am struggling my PC issues that I have described have come back again, I checked my memory and disks nothing is wrong with them, my computer keeps ramping up the fan for no reason, playing a game, Laptop Tycoon, mouse cursor keeps moving like there is a virus and crashing, there is no virus, scanned the PC and reformatted yesterday, is my 4 year old computer dying then? I checked Task Manager to see what's hogging up resources, it's GPU - 0 - 3D and copy what the hell is that? Please help me!

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
you should be able to right-click on the process and "Open file location".
that will usually give some clue as to what it actually is.
don't believe i've ever noticed this particular process.

what GPU are you using and are the proper up-to-date drivers installed directly from Nvidia or AMD?
It's Geforce GTX 1050, all the drivers are installed correctly formatted the other day, cannot play the game as good as I want to, mouse cursor freezes very bad, CPU and GPU usage rise very high, have to press control, alt and delete to get tiny relief, system is 4 years old, my computer also keeps freezing and crashing on programs a bit more than it used to, everything was formatted, please help!

that wouldn't make sense.
mine and every other up to date Windows system would also be seeing this process and would be experiencing it's high resource usage, but are not.

when you right-click on this process in Task Manager and select "Open file location" what location does Explorer open?

include a screenshot of Task Manager with this process running.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
mine and every other up to date Windows system would also be seeing this process and would be experiencing it's high resource usage, but are not.

when you right-click on this process in Task Manager and select "Open file location" what location does Explorer open?

It's part of C: \\ Windows System 32. First Image. View: https://imgur.com/a/xXozxNI

Second Image: When I clicked on Task Manager, this is the folder it took me to: View: https://imgur.com/a/4L5zgtx

I think it's inbuilt now as part of a new Windows 10 update? Or maybe just my PC is slowing?

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020

It is running but not doing anything of course doesn't affect anything, as soon as I launch a game everything goes downhill, but even now, I feel my desktop pc is slow, what could the reason for this be?

i've seen many times and even experienced myself issues with Desktop Window Manager process malfunctioning and causing issues with performance.
usually a clean install of Windows fixes the issue.

the fact that you've already formatted drive and reinstalled makes this a bit harder to diagnose.

where are your games installed?
some have claimed that moving their game's install directories to a non-system location fixed the issue.
try a separate disk or creating a new partition for games.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
i've seen many times and even experienced myself issues with Desktop Window Manager process malfunctioning and causing issues with performance.

the fact that you've already formatted drive and reinstalled makes this a bit harder to diagnose.

some have claimed that moving their game's install directories to a non-system location fixed the issue.
My games are on a completely separate SSD, 1 TB, my main boot drive is 240GB SSD, just used for booting. I’ve tried lots of things Sir, I don’t know what’s happening, I’ve tried reboots, deleting folders, nothing is helping.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020

The only thing I can think of is perhaps my system is slowing to a crawl, because one or two apps crash now, and performance since this GPU thing became a part of Windows has somewhat dropped, most noticeably in games,

performance since this GPU thing became a part of Windows has somewhat dropped, most noticeably in games,
this is not an issue with the majority of systems out there though, including my own current Windows systems.

i would suggest just going through another total disk wipe and fresh OS install making sure to not include old user files & settings and that you allow MS Media Creation Tool to create a totally new up-to-date install package.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
this is not an issue with the majority of systems out there though, including my own current Windows systems.

i would suggest just going through another total disk wipe and fresh OS install making sure to not include old user files & settings and that you allow MS Media Creation Tool to create a totally new up-to-date install package.
Okay I’ll try that later on today, just in case what if this fails to resolve anything, then what do I do please?

then what do I do please?
start a new build?

if this format & reinstall doesn't improve upon your current issue(s) then there is no software manipulation that can help.
it would prove this is a hardware issue.

if disk and memory scans have completed with no errors then it points to CPU and/or motherboard problems.

whether replacing one or the other would solve the issue is difficult to determine without trial & error.

maybe contact a local computer shop and see what they would charge for individual component testing.